Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel donor rig

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by lebowski, Jan 27, 2005.

1. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

Hello all. Well here goes My first post (with many more to follow I'm sure). Well I found my diesel parts rig that I'll be using to convert my 86 blazer to a fellow diesel rig. It's an 87 2wd 3/4ton with a 6.2 and.. what I've been told has a th350.. maybe th400? Anyway, my question is as follows: My 86 blazer originally came with a 305 and 700r4. The diesel I'm putting in is connected to a th350. Will I have any problems connect this diesel to my overdrive tranny? What about kickdown cable linkage and brackets? Will that be there? Also, will the dual exhust I just put on the blazer connect to the diesel's exhaust manifolds ok? Just trying to get a heads up before I put down the cash for this truck. It's a good running engine with about 112,000 on it as well. How many miles do these engines typically go before rebuilds? I think I've heard around 200,000. Hopefully. Anyway, thanks for any input.

-Bill Sundholm-

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It will bolt up to the diesel without any problems, you need to use the flexplate that came with the diesel and not the gas version. Also you may want to get a new torque converter for the 700R4 that is made for the diesel. I believe they have a lower stall rating.

The TV cable will not be on a TH400 version truck. It uses a kick down switch and vacuum line. You can buy the correct cable new, but you may have to do some searching for the correct bracket. I actually have one of those brackets in my car right now if you want it (it bolts down on top of the glow plug controller on the back of the head). I'd just ask for $10 plus shipping.

When I put my 6.2L in my '79 I was able to use the new dual exhaust that was put on the 350 by the previous owner. Bolted up with out a problem. I dont know if the 305 uses the same exhaust outlet locations or not, but it should work (little modification at the worst case). Though do you have cats on your truck now? Those will need to come off if you have them.

200-300K should not be a problem for any diesel. But I will recomend replacing the gaskets and timing set while you have the motor out. The diesel motor vibrations will torchure the timing chain and 100K is not a bad time to replace it.

3. lebowski

lebowski Registered Member

Hey thanks for the advice. Good point on the timing chain. Might as well replace it while I have the engine out. One more thing; Will my 305 (original powerplant) Have a TV bracket that I can simply bolt onto the Diesel engine? Or does a diesel have it's TV cable located elsewhere? Thanks

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The 305 TV cable bracket mounts to the carb. You can't put one on the diesel carb very easily :grin: You need the bracket that bolts to the GP controler on the back of the head (which I have one sitting on the floor board of my car right now and will sell).

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, KennyW did a damn good job of answering everything for you but I will throw in that your donor truck should have a th400 IIRC. You will need a new torque converter and governor for your Th700R4 to make it shift at the proper RPM's for the new, low RPM power plant. If the guy before you took good care of the engine and if you do the timing chain and regasket plan I would bet 300K. Those little motors aren't big power houses but they run for a LONG time....damn good engine. :)