Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Durability...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevcarr59, Feb 13, 2005.

1. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

A buddy that I work with has found a '96 K 3500 dually with a 6.2 liter diesel that is in really good shape. 130K, interior excellent shape, alttle wear on drivers seat, paint and body excellent, straight no dings or dents.

He's told me it has new injectors and the pump has been gone through.. I'm not sure if it's on a used lot or is from an individual but they're asking 7,000 for it..

Does the price seem out of line and is the diesel going to be durable to expect another good bit of mileage?? These are his biggest questions. This truck is in Houston area so I know rust is not going to be a factor.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

correct me if i am wrong but shouldnt that be a 6.5 turbo desiel in that truck.:confused:

3. wallew

wallew Guest

I agree with Sweetk30.

IF it truly has a 6.2, then I suggest a pass. IF on the other hand it's a 6.5, jump all over it.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

It would be a 6.5 truck, 6.2's stopped a few years earlier. How long it will last depends on how it was driven, if it pulled a 12K pound gooseneck every other day for its whole life, i would pass on it. If its had a relatively easy life, id jump on it.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would pass. Too expensive and too old, not to mantion, automatic + Diesel = :yikes:

I believe the 6.2 stopped in 92.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A 4L80E will easily be able to handle the power of a 6.5TD. You have this imagination that autos are so terrible behind a diesel....that is why so many medium duty trucks use autos......and in the pickups they are so much faster because the turbo isn't constantly dropping RPM's between shifts.

As far as durability behind a diesel....with todays automatic transmissions that are DESIGNED to go behind a diesel there isn't much to worry about, yes a manual will last longer but manuals last longer in any vehicle no matter what engine, thats just the traits of the two types of trannies, you pay in mileage to have an auto.