Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Fuel... sock?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Do the diesel's in our trucks have an in tank sock filter? We dont have a fuel pump in tank so it would seem kinda silly to have one, but I have heard conflicting information, with no real answer....

2. Iron_Weasel

Iron_Weasel Registered Member

I checked a diesel Blazer manual at random, so I got info off an 85 since you didn't specify a year. Anyway, from the digrams and information, there is no in tank filter...just the normal fuel filter/water seperator.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

thanks dude. :)

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

At least in the gas applications, it doesn't matter if theres an in-tank pump or not. There are two functions of the sock: prevent crud from reaching the fuel pump (electric or not) and to prevent water from getting to the engine.

Perhaps diesel can get too "thick" to get through a sock filter, and with a water seperator already, no reason for that in the tank.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

One of the main reasons for the "sock" is for fuel pickup. It acts like a candle wic. Only one spot of the sock needs to be in fuel and it will draw in fuel. That's how they can basically suck the tank dry when if all it had was an open end pipe it would leave quite a bit of fuel in the tank.

And yes, it should have one. It is not called a filter, IIRC GM calls it a strainer.

6. dyeager535

I lied.

Second page part #12 of the fuel tank diagrams/parts listing.

parts manual

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

crapola. Ok, so, any ideas as to how often this sock needs to be replaced? Seems kinda pointless in a diesel application, as that "wicking" action would sitll introduce air into the system and cause the engine to stall. Not to mention all the usual crud that gets into diesel fuel that it needs good filtration.

8. dyeager535

I'd say that sock needs replaced about once every 15-20 years.

*IF* they are bad it seems that its because they have rubbed the bottom of the tank too long, and get a hole worn in them. Also, if the tank is in poor condition, the sock can get plugged up with crud, which in some extreme cases hurts performance.

The Delco electric fuel pumps that I bought all came with a sock, so GM seems to think that fuel pump replacement is about the interval the sock should be replaced. Since the fuel pumps seem to typically last 100,000 miles+, that's a pretty big interval.

9. grape

grape Registered Member

my 82 diesel k5 has a sock and i put the original one back in with the sender and fuel pickup after i restored everything, hell the tank was spotless inside as well, which surprised me after 23 years.