Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel fuels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    A lot of guys up here in the cold run kerosene in the winter in diesel engines. Can you run it year round without adverse effects. I know it its not taxed like diesel and I cant pump it in the truck, but transfering it dosent bother me....and for $.30 a gallon less i can deal with the hassle

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Now theres something I have been thinking about to. But I know the authoreties here have controll post a couple of times a year to try and catch those who avoid paying the tax for regular diesel.
    They do the controll by taking a long dipstick and inserting it down in the gas-tank. In Norway they have added color to the "no-tax" diesel so they do a visual. But if they suspect your up to no good they do a chemical test wich will show the slightest amount of ilegal diesel.
    My idea is having a hidden tank wich fills from the floor inside the bed. Leaving just enough of the old tank for them to poke into.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

don't run kerosine all the time, it effects the seals in the fuel pump. (you know how expensive that is). I was told the sulpher in the diesel lubricates the pump. My advice, run home heating fuel. Its basically the same as regular diesel, but with a different color dye in it. Home heating fuel is red, i think. Just as a side note, My uncle runs HH fuel in all his diesel machines( forklifts, crane, backhoe, ect.) and has for decades. never a problem. and I ran it in my Jimmy all through last year, no problem. I was actually getting the fuel for 80cents a gallon at one point.......hope this helps.....js

4. JimmyDie6.2

I should actually qualify what I mean about running kerosene all the time, its ok for a couple of gallons to be mixed with about 20 or 25 gallons of diesel. Or even a higher proportion occording to how cold it gets. My manual that GM gives you with the truck even says its ok to run "2 gallons of gasoline with every fill up when the temperature is -10 degrees or lower". For me using a good diesel treatment is a better way to keep the parrafins in the fuel from forming into wax, even at lower temps......js

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    anyone else running alternative diesel fuels?

6. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys, I run Jet A (clean, clean, clean kerosene.) I get it for free! I add a qt of atf per tank full to help lube the pump. Have been doing this for years, summer & winter. The biggest problem that I find is that kerosene does not have the BTU's that diesel fuel has, so you lose some power. You really notice it under a load. Playing with your injection pump timing will help. If you have a computer controlled diesel, I heard it will automaticlly compansate for the kerosene, but I would still add the qt of atf per tank. It's cheaper than a pump! GOPHERKILLER

7. Gopherkiller

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, but for the drop in mileage that you get with kerosene, I'm not sure if you are really saving that much in the long run. These winter blend fuels that they have all over, seem to be pretty good, (no waxing up.) When the weather warms up, and the demand for home heating oil drops, so will the price of diesel fuel. Happens every year. Hay remember last summer, when diesel fuel was .60 cents a gallon less than regular gas? Just my opinion. GOPHERKILLER

8. Gopherkiller

Sounds like your uncle uses it in all off hiway uses. The problem with using "red" fuel on the hiway is that they check for it at weigh staions and check points. Can lead to some HEAVY DUTY fines, and not worth the hassle to me.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Gopherkiller, where are you getting Jet A for free?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

10. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

diesel fuel is diesel fuel its all goverment regulated, the only difference between marine, road, and home heating is the taxes and the color of its dye. kerosean thins out the fuel making it easier to flow and atomize when its cold, however does not put out as much power as diesel because of the designed compression ratio of the engine. if you really wanted to save money on fuel you could run heavy fuel, but you would have to heat it and change the injectors, plus the added maintnence.

11. Gopherkiller

JarheadK5, I'd rather not say, but to bad airplanes don't use diesel fuel! GOPHERKILLER

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gopher: You put a qt of ATF fluid in your tank everytime you fill up? it lubes the pump and stuff..how does that affect power and fuel consumption?

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

13. JimmyDie6.2

yes off highway uses.......but who is going to check a jimmy with passenger car plates??? My jimmy was never registered commercial. So in this neck of the woods if you registered your ride as a pass car you could get away with it. I also know that every state has their own wacko laws, its just here they haven't caught up yet.Ya I know about those taxes, thats the whole red dye idea from big brother.....js

14. Gopherkiller

I only put the atf in when running jet fuel. If I'm cruising the hiway, I'll use a qt of oil instead (don't want to turn the fuel red.) I think that with helping to lube the pump, it also increases the BTU's of the fuel. GOPHERKILLER

15. Gopherkiller

I only put the atf in when running jet fuel. If I'm cruising the hiway, I'll use a qt of oil instead (don't want to turn the fuel red.) I think that with helping to lube the pump, it also increases the BTU's of the fuel. Also use Jet A fuel to heat the house (we have a oil burner system.) It really doesn't have the same BTU's as home heating oil, but it's free!