Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel/Gas Conversion for 84' K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cvblazer, Apr 8, 2002.

1. cvblazer

cvblazer Registered Member

Diesel/Gas Conversion for 84\' K5

Right now I have a daily driver diesel blazer. I have no problems with it but I also have another engine that has been sitting in a boat for a year. The engine is a pretty good 350 with all marine parts and puts out around 350 hp and I hate to see it just sit and get old. Unfortunately I live in California and I know all about the strict smog rules for street legal cars. I was wondering if the diesel cars in California had to be checked to make sure if they were diesel, because if they did not, what would prevent someone like me from putting in a gas engine? I mean, if I got pulled over i dont think a cop would look under the hood to make sure its diesel. I was wondering what people thought about this cause I am really tempted to do this.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Diesel/Gas Conversion for 84\' K5

So how do you not know if they need emissions testing, if you already live in CA, and have a diesel? Not to be a jerk, just curious...recent transplant, military, etc.

In my state, which is NOT CA (WA) diesels weren't tested at the beginning, but the state wised up and started testing them becuase they figured out exactly what you are contemplating, was a loophole. So now they are tested, basically just to ensure that they are still diesels.

You can in this state (I'd bet CA is similar) do a "conversion", but it gets pretty complicated, enough so you might as well just buy a gas version of the same vehicle...gas fuel tank, gas fuel gauge, "re-certified" as a gas vehicle, title changed, and more than likely, an emissions component check, which would mean that you would have to install at a minimum all gas engine emissions components found on an '84 gas Blazer, including cat converter, AIR, EGR, etc.

3. cvblazer

cvblazer Registered Member

Re: Diesel/Gas Conversion for 84\' K5

LOL, totally understant what your saying about why I wouldnt know. Beeing 16, I just got this car from my sister who had been driving it for 8 years, and I havent remembered to ask her about it when I see her.
    If I had to do all that conversion work to make my blazer a gas, it would not be worth it because it still works fine.