Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel/Gas Swap Engine wiring?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Mar 7, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

For the guys who have done this, Was wondering if the electrical box on the firewall that bolts to the back of the fuse panel is interchangeable between diesel and gas. Will the gas one plug right into the one I got? What all do I need to wire up when the new motor goes in? Putting in carb. 400sb with no emission junk(going to register it outta state) with 700R4, and no air cond. Anyway I can work with the diesel harness and just cut off what I don't need? What did you guys do? Can't buy new engine harness, been discontinued from Chev. Thanx for the help:) Sam

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Try looking for a company called painless wiring, they sell complete wiring kits. I'd just do that and gut everything before so you know its right. Otherwise it can be without going that route though. All you really need extra is 12v to the distributor. Than I suppose you'd have to tie up all the glow plug wiring. You'll have those wierdo hydroboost brakes too and all that filtering crap that diesel used in the fuel line. I dunno, why ask me, haha. All I know is that I've seen quite a few lower income people around here do swaps and they've worked.

3. 83K5BLZR

83K5BLZR Registered Member

I purchased a 83 Blazer that was originally a diesel. The previous owners swapped in a 305 gas. Everything worked prior to myself fully dismantling the truck, but there are wires and splices everywhere. If anyone has any information to the proper electrical works, I too would be happy to hear.

4. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The wire that went to the injection pump fuel-cut off solenoid (pink wire) can be re-routed to the distributor.

The alternator wiring is the same, as is the water temp. sending unit, and the oil pressure sending unit.

Most everything else can be stripped off. This includes the glow plug wiring, relays, water in fuel sense wires, fuel heater wires, etc.

I've had experience going the other way. I have an '81 C-20 that I converted to diesel. I've done this to a '77 Blazer as well. Going back to gas is actually easier.

Good luck.

Casey

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

I checked out the Painless wiring idea before, expensive! Checked some other companies too, but I can't remember there names. Cheapist I found was 260 bucks.
    Sounds like using existing wires is the cheapest and easiest. Will have to go to the Library and find a diesel wiring diagram so I can crossreference it with the gas diagram. Was playing with it yesterday and there is a TON of wires for the diesels!! I assume the ignition setup on the column is the same? I'll have to rebuild the charging system and starter wiring setup though, shouldn't be too hard. Can I use my alt. off the diesel?
    Thanx for the help fellas! Sam

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I too think the easiest way would be to route the fat pink wire to the distributor, hook up the gauge sender wires to the senders (oil and water), starter wires up the same, as do the alternator and power feeds to the cab, and just get rid of what you don't need. Painless would be a complete waste of $$.

Pete