Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel/gas tank ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Dec 26, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i was told a while ago that in order to swap over to diesel you also need to swap in diesel tanks. is this true? i had always thought that a gallon of either or fuel being swapped into the other really wouldnt make a big difference as it'd be dilluted at a ratio of 1/20th of the tank.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not absolutely nessasary

I think you could use a gas tank for diesel--the only real difference in the 2 is the diesel tank has a different sending unit,it has a water sensor built into it,to light the "water in fuel" light when water accumulates in the tank,they also have a built in siphon hose setup to drain the water,both are nice to have,but not really nessasary in my opinion--if you use the truck often,and fill it frequently,and use a bottle of isopropanol dry gas ocaisionally,and drain your fuel filter once in a while,I doubt you'll have any trouble.....

I dont know how much gas you can mix in with a GM diesel and have no ill effects--I do know one guy who filled a company truck with a 6.2 with gasoline,the truck had dual tanks and he used all but a half a tank of diesel on a long trip,and afraid he wouldnt be able to make it back or get diesel after dark,he stopped at the next station and topped off the tank with regular gas!!--he didnt remember he was driving the diesel company truck until he went to start it up and saw the glow plug light!!!!-:yikes: :yikes: :screwy: -he called the company,my brother is head of truck maintenence,he asked his boss if he wanted to send a wrecker to get him,or if he should drive the 100 miles each way to drain the tanks and refill it with diesel--his boss asked the owner of the company if they should go rescue him--he said "That truck is a POS anyway--I couldnt even get it started to plow my yard last year--tell him to dive it back---if he doesent make it,then send a ramp truck to get him"!!!---So he drove it over 100 miles with a roughly 50/50 mix of gas and diesel,and the guy at the gas station told him to add a quart of 2 cycle oil for good measure,it not only made it back with no problem,he said it actually ran better than it ever had on the previous trips he made in it--my brother simply topped off both tanks the next day,and that was over 2 years ago,and the truck still runs the same as ever!!.

I had a VW Jetta diesel,VW claims you can use up to 3 gallons of gas per 14 gallon tank in the winter!!-:eek1: -many folks add a gallon or so to make them start easier in the winter(most of them are too cheap to fix the glowplugs,and dont like using starting fluid)--havent seen any meltdowns yet,but I cant see it doing a diesel any good running it on gasoline for any length of time--bet it would clean the injectors real good though...:crazy:

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:saweet: sounds like good info there to me. i am thinking ahead on my work in progress. eventually i will swap something like a CAT 3116 I-6 or a 3208 V-8 into it. it already has dual tanks for the 454 so i figured that may as well use them. I did not think about the water sensors though. or the siphon hose. just things to consider when doing a swap for sure. and when this gets all swapped over how hard is it really to change the sending unit from a diesel tank to the gas? they are the same size I would assume as I know it costs more money to retool your machinces and make a different part for a gas tank... so gm most likely used the same tnaks w/ same sized holes but different sending units.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  4. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

when did they have a water sensor in the fuel tank? my 84 and 87 diesels don't have anything like that in the tanks. just curious? I thought all they had was the sensor on the fuel filter.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

got me there

My 82 K20 has it in the sending unit,and all the ones I've looked at in the junkyards did too,they were all about the same year (82-87?)--I have seen some with the sensor on the fuel filter instead though,but I didnt think to look at the sending units on those trucks--maybe some have 2 sensors,one at the filter and one at the tank????..:confused: ---anyway,mine lies to me,the "water in fuel" light comes on sometimes,and I drained the tank,and NO WATER came out!:mad: .

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I replaced my fuel tank about 3 years ago. The tank that went in was originally from a diesel K5. I checked the sender and stuff and compared it to the gas version. There was one extra do-ma-hickey on the diesel sender with a purple(?) wire. Removed the do-ma-hickey and cut the purple wire and it worked fine.

A year later I swapped a 6.2 into my truck:doah:

I just drained all the gasoline from the tank, flushed about half a gallon of diesel through the tank and lines then hooked it up. Never had a problem. Obviously I don't have a water in fuel sensor...but I do run a Racor fuel filter/water seperator.

Rene