Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel gauges

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bear76, Oct 23, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I have an 84' m1009 and I am replacing the gauge cluster. I would like to use a gauge cluster that has a tach. Is the gas and diesel gauge cluster the same?

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They physically fit the same, but based on year the wiring can/WILL be different. (the further back you go, such as the common '73-80 tach clusters, it's a certainty the wiring will be different) It can be changed around, but you need to plan on spending the time to make sure it's correct instead of just bolting it in.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  3. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

I've never come across an older GM diesel with factory tach. I've got over dozen 6.2 diesels in the 1982-1989 range. If it WAS an option, I assume it's a rare one. Three of my K5 Blazers and one Suburban have add-on tachs and they work off a stator-tap from the alternator for a signal. Gas-engine tachs work differently. I've also got two diesel Volkswagens and two diesel Ford trucks and all of them DO have factory tachs - all work off of an alternator tap for the tach signal.
    In regard to the entire cluster from a diesel - it will have a fuel-gauge that reads "diesel fuel only", a "water-in-fuel" light and a "wait" light for the glow-plugs.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Short answer is no, they aren't the same; at the very least, as others have pointed out, the lights are different, and the tach wiring to the distributor would be very hard to sort out on a diesel =))

-- A