Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel gurus, enlighten me

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by guz71, May 1, 2007.

1. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

I am really thinking about buying another k5 with a diesel in it and rebuilding the motor and swap it along with all the other necessary parts I will need into my k5(radiator, hyrdroboost, fuel tank, fuel lines, etc.) I am looking to buy one for less than 2000 bucks, so im sure they engine will have a ton of miles and I will need to completely overhaul the motor. how much did yall that have rebuilt you diesels spend typicallly? If I do the swap I really want to add the banks turbo kit but that might have to wait another year due to money issues. Will a rebuilt stock 6.2 have enough grunt to push my rig down the highway at 70 mph. at 70 mpg im turning right around 2000 rpms.the 350 is killing me as a daily driver...

2. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

To do it right, at least 3000, if you do all the assembly yourself. You will want to replace all the injection system components (nozzles, injection pump, transfer pump). Depending on the year, there's a good chance your heads will be cracked which you can either decide to repair or buy new heads, its tough to find used heads that aren't cracked. They crack usually on the end cylinders between the valves, the precup design places alot of extra heat stress in the head, and they just weren't quite up to snuff.

-Martin

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Transfer Pump? Do you mean Lift pump? I think your price is about right.

You might want to take a look over at the Diesel Place.Com. Lots of info on the 6.2, 6.5, and other engines you could consider.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if you are looking at buying a K5 with a diesel for under $2000,, you better find one with a great diesel engine, people don't like the 6.2 so they sell the trucks for cheap.
    Here you could get a diesel truck with great running engine fo under $1000.
    As for rebuild, if you do the assembly $3k is pretty close.

5. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

You should be able to hold 70 going down the high way. I bet that you will get decent milleage too. Esspecilly once you get a turbo kit you will be doing well. Dont expect very good acceleration though.

6. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

Caterpillar calls a lift pump a transfer pump, different terminology. Also, The diesel page is a fantastic resource, they helped me through the strange eccentricites of these engines when I was rebuilding mine.

-Martin

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 83 GMC 1/2 ton will hold 80+ mph no problem on the highway and acceleration is on par with a stock small block. With a turbo it'd get to 80 a bunch faster than a SBC truck would. On the highway it pulls down a consistant and honest 25 mpg all day long. Straight city driving it still get 17 mpg...

Rene

8. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

If I got 20mpg on the highway I dont if I could take it lol.....Theres some other stuff I really need to do to the truck first but I hope to by the end of the year have bought another K5 and start rebuilding the motor. I think if I take my time and completely rebuild it, I will just wait a little more and do the turbo kit then drop it in. I would think with the banks kit that it would have as much if not a little more pep than my stock tbi 350.

9. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I spent about 5k on mine, but I did alot. Mine runs awesome and has great power. It is faster than my moms '99 Z71 tahoe, which makes me happy. Sounds awesome with no muffler and just the downpipe off the turbo.:haha:

If you have time, but no money. Try the Diesel Depot. They are very slow, I mean slow, but they can get you lower compression pistons and some hard to find parts if you need them for relatively cheap.