Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel guys help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fujative06, Sep 20, 2006.

1. fujative06

fujative06 Registered Member

well heres my problem, i currently own a jeep cherokee and i love it but i want a diesel. so ive been looking into getting a diesel truck i really want a blazer, but its kinda hard to convince the parents to let me get a diesel. all they can think about is how loud they are. can anyone give me any kind of ammo against them.

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Fuel mileage is double in a diesel.

3. fujative06

what do you currently get for gas mileage if you dont mind me asking my jeep only gets 14 wich sucks being a student

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Buy a newer diesel. '03 and up dodges are quiet. Stay away from the 98-02 24 valve Cummins. It's a great engine, but it has LOTS of fuel knock.

5. fujative06

im currently a student with out a job so i was hoping i would be able to pick up an older 80's fullsize blazer im also a ski bum so sleeping in it happens often so anything newer was kinda out of the question

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A few guys here have gotten 24+ mpg with their 6.2 K5's...

Rene

7. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

im getting 15mpg wit the 6.5 w/ 4.10's and 35's. decent enough for me..
    that is when the damn thing is running :frown1:

8. fujative06

the main reason why i want this truck is so that i can get to the mountain in through anything. we get dumped on everyonce and awhile around here so im looking for a suv that can get me through at least 2 feet of snow with no hesitation. and get decent gas mileage for getting to school anything more then 14

9. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

After running a diesel you will not want to go back. Better gas milage, fuel injected(tip it over and it keeps running) and my 82 6.2 is pretty quiet compared to most diesel engines. no louder than a car with a mild exhaust kit on it. Oh and did I say they get Better gas milage!

10. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

'85 6.2 Blazer, 3.73, gears, 700r4, 33" tires = 25 mpg Highway @ 65 mph. That was over 900 miles from Salt Lake City, UT to LA, CA:D

11. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Also let them know the longevity of the diesel is much longer than a gasser.

12. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I get the "Why does everything need to be diesel" from the misses alot. I just tell her that in Europe over 50% of vehicles registered are diesel. Dieselpower is the way of the future.

With the new ULSD fuel emisions will be lower than they ever been. Theyr'e a better alternative than "Hybrids" and can burn alternate fuels such as biodiesel. If your parents don't like diesel tell them to get with the program!! and stop being dinosours!!!

By 2010 deisel vehicle registarion is going to increase by at least 10% due to more and more vehicles being offered with diesel option in the states, thanks to ULSD <-Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel

13. fujative06

yea i was acually planing on running biodiesel but i still dont know about it because of the gel point has anyone run it during the winter?

14. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

And it can run off french fry oil!!! Theres even DIY kits for this!!! :D Plus later on if you want to you can get a Banks kit and put out some killer power!! After my truck gives up the ghost or I get fed up with it and have some $$$ I plan on getting a used Diesel crew cab longbed and pumpin 'er up to over 700 lbs. torque.