Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel guys - need a quick response to an easy q. about gear reduction starters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Sep 23, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

do they have a separate solenoid? i'm wanting to put one on my 6.2, but the parts guys can't seem to look it up by the title (28mt). the guy told me that the one he had in stock for the application that I guessed for him (95 6.5td manual tranny chev truck) was not gear reduction b/c it was like the older style starter which has the solenoid attatched to the starter, versus being all one unit. any thoughts???

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I just converted my CUCV over to 12 volt. Purchased a 12 volt gear reduction starter off Ebay for $113 from DB Electrical and had it within two days. The solenoid is attached to the starter. One of the best mods that I've made so far, it turns the engine over with no effort. Their number is 800-753-2242 and they should be able to answer any of your questions. Hope this helps!

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

thanks guys. turns out i misdiagnosed my prob. again. :) i just needed to repair a battery cable i made a while back - the solder didn't hold the cable into the lug too well... :(