Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel headers

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Tybee, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a set of these headers ?

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken, those look like Hummer headers. They won't fit real well into a truck due to differences in the frames.

Stan's headers is the only company I know of that are still making headers for the 6.2/6.5 engines. Those headers look like the regular small-block headers, and have equal length tubes for better performance, unlike those found in the ebay auction.

Casey

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

RV's correct those are HMMWV manifolds. Although I've never seen a set painted pretty /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

4. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Do you have a number or a website for them??

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

6. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Anyone know if you could use big block headers on the 6.2 diesels?

7. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I dont think they fit.

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The 6.2L/6.5L block is in-between a small-block and big-block as far as physical size goes, so the big-block headers won't bolt right on.

However, there is a guy over on the DP who is currently attempting to modfiy a set of big-block headers to fit onto his 6.2L. Seems like he said it won't take much work.

Casey

9. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Do you know what brand of headers he did the modifications to?

10. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

This is from a post he made on the DP:

"I did some checking the other day and if you have a cutting torch and a wire feed welder at you dispossal, you could modify a set of big block headers to fit your application. The exhaust port spacing for the 6.2/6.5 and the Big Block are preaty close. You would have to make new header flanges, and flatten the sides of the primary tubes so you could bolt them on, but that souldnt be a big problem. Might I suggest that if you do this, tack weld the things together first, install to make sure everything fits, then remove and weld up! You can get a set of Headman headers from Jegs for under 2 "C" notes. Heckuva lot cheaper than the 425.00 for the stans. Im building a 6.5 with a 6-71 supercharger and this is the way Im doing my exhaust. 1.5" primary tubes with 3" collector"

Casey

11. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Holy crap he is going to us a 6-71 supercharger on it. I thought that it wouldn't fit because of the injection pump. How is he doing his?

I would love to do this.

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

It's a very, very custom job. He's been working on it for quite some time. I don't think he's anywhere near done yet.

Here is another quote from this same gentleman:

"Im working on putting a 4-71 or a 6-71 on a 6.5. I dont think B&M are going to provide a Roots "kit" because they arent tooled to make diesel intakes (or is any roots type supercharger manufacturer) Installing a GMC 4-71, 6-71, 8-71 on a 6.2/6.5 without lowering the compression would be a waste of a good blower IMO. Getting comp ratio down to the 17:1 mark would allow you to run higher boosts, and you need to do that to compensate for the power its gonna take to run the blower. My engine guy, who builds blower motors all day long, tells me it take 250 hp to run a 8-71 @ 12# boost, BUT you get it back and then some. problem is 12# boost @ 21:1 and the pistons are gonna say hi to the cylinder walls. I dont even wanna think what the EGT's would be at 3000rpm WOT @ 12# boost! So, lower comp (18:1)pistons,preferably with ceramic coated crowns and graphite skirts, would be advised. Jamie Avant @ the Diesel Depot has cylinder head shims that add .020 to the deck. That, in addition to Pen. Diesel's 18:1 pistons would bring comp ratio down to the desired 17:1 range. Now, turn up the boost!
    Another thing I'm going to do is install larger main caps with splayed outside bolts, similar to the caps Kennedy had at the Renezvous this year.
    One other thing to consider is the drive ratio for the blower itself. High performance Big Blocks for ofshore race boats, are running blowers @ .75 underdrive or 1:1 depending on the compression ratio of the particular motor. Most gas blower motors are running @ 8:1-9:1 to get 10# -12# boost. Thats the stumling block for me. I dont want to distroy a 3000.00 long block by getting the wrong drive pully.
    So you wanna 6-71 blower strapped to the top of your 6.2? How committed are you? Asside from the long block mods this is what you will have to do: Build an intake manifold that will not interfere with the injector pump, thermostat crossover and vacuum pump (this is why Im considering a 4-71 instead...its about 3 inches shorter that a 6-71 about 7-8 inches shorter than a 8-71), build or modify an idler/tentioner for the drive belt (drive belts are about 3 inches wide) build some kind of air box to keep dirt, birds and small childred from getting sucked into the impellers when you fire this beast up. At this point im thinking you make have to make your own drive pulley to mount to the crank to get the right drive ratio. Accesories like water pump. alt, AC woulnt be affected as the blower drive would be installed in front of all that stuff, you know, between whats there now and the radiator? Pitch the stock clutch fan and install the highest cap. elect. fans (2) you can get your mits on. Hey, its only money! You wanna play, you gotta pay!
    Can it be done? Hellyah! Just dont know how many engines I gotta grenade to get it figured out "

Casey

13. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

Diesel Superchargers

You may not know it but Andy's Import Marine diesel in Sweden makes/sells all the parts you would need to mount an Autorotor (same as a Whipple)super charger on your 6.2/6.5. They have all kinds of parts for these engines including setups that will make 400+ horsepower. Custom is cool, but this route maybe cheaper in the long run than a 6-71 blower-more efficient too.

Lots of cool stuff to check out at Andy's Marine Diesel Website, www.marinediesel.nu including an engine that looks to have a Paxton centrifugal supercharger on it. That would solve injector pump clearance problems!

Also check out General Engine Products web site. They are the new mfg of 6.5 diesels. You can get to their homepage through AM General's site (AM General is the parent company)

What do yo guys think? Would you be more interested in swapping in a Duramax?

David

14. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Re: Diesel Superchargers

Yeah, I've heard that Whipple supercharger kits are popular with the Humvee crowd.

I think this guy wants to mount a 6-71 blower just to be different!

Actually, there is someone swapping in a Duramax into an older truck! Duramax Swap

Casey

15. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Does it say how much its costing them?

16. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The Duramax engine and Allison automatic were donated by GM to the diesel page for this project. So far, it hasn't cost much more than the purchase price of the truck.

Here's more info:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/project2.htm

There's also some other articles at the DP, but they're in the member's only section.

Casey

17. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

They could have at least used a better looking truck. Why that POS.

18. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Some guys have all the luck! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

19. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Ya they could have used mine! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

20. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I would have been more than willing to have volunteered one of my trucks as well!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif