Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Feb 14, 2007.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

went out for a little field runnin at one of my friends house today. hit a couple small mud holes and did some donuts in the new snow.

as i was coming through a mud hole, the truck stopped. just shut down. hit the starter, nothing. it was mainly just muddy water with some ice in it. wasnt even high enough to get halfway up my 33s.

so i had my buddy yank me out. first i thought i might have run out of feul somehow :doah: dummy me has not working fuel guage. so i had it towed back to his shop so i could bleed the lines. well we got it back and found that i did have feul. could hear it sloshing in the tank.

it still will not start and i have no idea what to do with it. the starter will crank and crank and get nothing. not even a try.

i even hit it with some ether... i know... its a diesel and your not suposed to use it. but it wouldnt even fire with that.

any ideas on what to check? im totally at a loss here.

thanks

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

check the power wire going to the injector pump to make sure it didnt fall off.also check the wired leading to the starter the ice might of broke one.

3. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

where is the feul pump located on the diesels? or does it even have one? is there any way to test to be sure that the IP is working?

4. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

in the front under the intake manifold. There is large pink wire attached to the injector pump. check for voltage there and make sure it is conected. check for fuel flow by cracking the injector line. careful it is under pressure.

5. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

which injector line should i crack? at the injector? at the ip? i cracked the top one on the ip and got nothing. didnt take it all of the way off though.

from what i see when i look at the ip, there are 8 lines in a circle and one in the middle. the one in the middle is the supply from the tank, correct?

i did pull off the feed to my fuel water separator located on the firewall... dry. no diesel at all.

now that im not so frustrated, im starting to think that i did somehow run out of fuel...

6. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well 1st check for power but sounds like you have a crack a line and are sucking air. any air in the system and she will not run. check the rubber hoses back to the fuel tank. you can bleed air from the lines at the rear of the intake manifold. it is a pretty simple system but any air leaks will take it out.