Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel in a push mower???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Mar 23, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I put this in the lounge b/c its not truck related. Anyway, my wife decides to mow the back yard this past weekend. I get home and she tells me she used the last of the gas. Well I knew we didn't have any gas but we had a little diesel that I had used to start a brush fire a few weeks ago. The thing is, she says it ran fine. I asked her if it smoked or anything and she said it ran just like it always does. I was surprised it ran at all, and if it did it seems like it would smoke alot. I have never run diesel in a gas motor before so I'm guessing but thats what it seems like. Hey, at least she cuts the grass. :D

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

:eek1::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

3. RubberFloorMat

RubberFloorMat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

its your own fault for not being a real man and labeling the gas cans.:haha:

1 black magic marker, then apply labels as needed.

GAS

PREMIX

DEISEL

MOONSHINE

BEAVER OIL

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My girlfriend accidentally put the gas/oil mixture for their weedeater in the riding lawmower so when she was spreading horse poop she was fogging for mosquitos at the same time. It smoked so much it looked like the mower was on fire. Her dad doesnt label gas cans either. They are all red cans, lined up next to each other with either gas, mix, or diesel. He is the only one that knows which has what...

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Smell it!

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

red = gas

blue = kero

yellow = desiel

but ya funny.

most good gas stations wont let you fill with wrong liquid.

7. afroman006

Have you seriously ever had an attendant come out screaming, "YOU CANT PUT DIESEL IN A RED CAN IM GONNA CALL THE COPS ON YOU!!!!!"? I havent... Plus yellow cans are almost impossible to find and are usually more expensive. I'll take my sharpie'd up gas can thank you very much.

8. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

If there was gas already in the tank and she just topped it off then all she did was maybe clean the carbon out of the mower. There are guys back home that swear by mixing some diesel with gas every few months to clean the carbon out of their engines. I've never tried mixing it personally. :D

I used to use diesel all the time back home for cleaning parts off though.

Rick

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

no thay havent run out. but the man at the pump said no cause his boos was watching and he would get yeled at.

10. MT wheeler

MT wheeler 1/2 ton status

My wife did the similar. She fills the mower up with "gas" starts to mow and the thing is smoking like crazy. She realized what she did, dumped the diesel back out, filled it up with premium (yes I am anal about the gas at my house) and commenced to mowing the lawn. Once the diesel cleared out of the fuel system, all was good and no harm done.:D

11. afroman006

Man at the pump = attendent? As in full service station? We dont have those down here.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

There's full service in Phillip SD

I love that place

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Diesel mowers...

There are a few brands of mowers with diesel engines,not many sold in the USA,but in other countries they are popular..we even had a "Wankel" engine powered one at our vocational school,to dissect and get running..they thought the Wankel was going to be "THE" engine of the future then!..the Mazda RX-7's dominated the ice races I went to...they outlawed them from the 4 cyl classes,made them run with the V8'S!...guess they didn't pan out though,no one makes one now..

Briggs and Stratton had some stationary engines that were "dual fuel"...the gas tank was divided into 2 sections,and gas went in one side,kerosene or diesel in the other..the engine was to be started and run until hot on gasoline,then you could open the valve to let the diesel in,and shut off the gas supply..they also had LP gas coversions factory too..

Many old farm tractors had the capability of using diesel as well as gas..most had to be started on gas first though...motors had only about 6:1 compression ratios then,so anything from lighter fluid to kerosene,and gasoline would burn in them without spark knock...

There were some "semi-diesel" engines that used spark plugs for ignition,yet burned diesel..my dad used to own one,a 4 cylinder "Hercules" engine I salvaged from a huge water pump they had at the gas company my dad worked at..sold it to a guy for his welder,which also had a Hercules engine,but was gas only,and had thrown a rod..dont know if he ever sucessfully swapped it in....I thought it would have been a neat engine for a tractor...

Funny this thread comes up one day after I used Coleman lantern and stove fuel in a Briggs and Stratton on a tractor I built!!...didn't have any "real" gas hanging around,and I didn't feel like going to buy any..it seemed to run fine,guess they dont really need 87 octane!..
    :crazy: