Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel in the winter....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by S10-4x4, Aug 13, 2000.

1. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

I know you are all probably screaming "Why doens't this guy get a book or something!!?!?!" but I can't get all the real helpful answers from a book.....
    I am now looking at a 1983 with a 6.2 diesel. I have been told by many a people that during the winter I need it plugged in so that when its really cold it will start. I don't have access to a garage where I live and neither do I have access to an outside outlet. What can I do to make it so my hopefully new baby will start in the winter? Also I was told that my fuel would become gel and wouldn't work either? Yes.....I DON'T KNOW JACK and I ain't afraid to admit it!!!!!
    S10-4x4

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Where do you live at? Winter is a relative term in the US. I haven't owned a diesel, but have been around them quite a bit working on farms and whatnot. We never had much trouble until it got below 0 F. Just make sure you have a good battery and all your starting connections are good. There are also various fuel additives to keep your diesel from gelling. Back in 1990 it was getting to the negetive twenties and none of my family's gas engines would start. I would take the battery out of my K5 in the house at night and put it back in the moring. It would fire right up. In other words, I wouldn't worry about buying a diesel just because you can't plug it in when it gets cold.

3. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

I live in this flat land called Illinois. I don't see a hill for miles....its sad...
    I think it will get below 0 here sometime......
    What are these additives that you can put in? All I heard you could do was keep it running all night long so it would not gel up? Guess I need to learn alot......
    S10-4x4

4. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

First off I`d like to say that your fuel should not gell unless you are running unwinterized diesel. The fuel is treated at the refinery with anti gell chemicals if it is to be sold in cold climate areas during winter mounths. I still like to treat my fuel all year around, because the new diesel that is being sold is low sulfur, and there for it has a low amount of lubrication for the pump and injectors. You did not say how cold it gets around your area. In general it is best to plug in the diesel, but that does not mean that you have to. Glow plugs are the first thing that you need to replace. I would also recomend contacting Penninsular Diesel(penninsular engines.com) for one of there adjustable glow plug relays($25?). Make sure you have no air leaks in your injection lines(a.k.a. bad injectors)If you do you will never get her started in real cold weather, regardless if you plug her in or not. I have printed info on cold weather starting for the 6.2/6.5 family that I will be glad to send you. Direct Email me for this information.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

First of all, a diesel MAY start in cold temperatures without being plugged in, but with 20:1 compression and 15w40 oil, you can do a lot of damage if it's started up without being plugged in. It takes longer than you think to get the thicker oil up to the heads. No oil= no protection!!!

Goose's comment about the battery deserves attention. Your 6.2 should be equipped with two, though- one for your starter, the other for your glow plugs. Get two of the highest CCA batteries money can buy and make sure they stay in good condition- that's a big motor you're turning over.

A 6.2 should be fed a steady diet of diesel fuel conditioner whether it's cold out or not. Your Stanadyne injector pump was designed with sulphur-rich diesel in mind, but diesel is now delivered from the refineries with a low-sulphur content(See the yellow circle on the diesel pump at the gas station). A diesel fuel additive contains lube that replaces the sulphur, and keeps the seals and rings from drying out. A good conditioner will also contain injector cleaner and anti-gel formulas.

Anti-gel, you ask? At low temperatures, diesel fuel actually starts to develop flakes of wax as the parrafin component freezes. These flakes wil clog your entire fuel system until it gets thawed out, and may require BOTH fuel filters to be replaced(They should be replaced every year anyway!). What anti-gel does is actually lower the freezing temperature of your diesel fuel.

One more thing- If you intend to idle your diesel for long periods of time, like overnight, you should install a fast idle switch on your truck. A higher idle is actually better for your motor than a lower idle- it keeps the injectors from getting any buildup on them.

Just in case you're curious, I talk from experience. I live in the Canadian Rockies, where dead-of-winter temperatures can reach -30c(-20f!!!!!) for a few weeks in a row. I can GUARANTEE that a diesel won't start without being plugged in in these conditions!!!

Hope all my rambling helped........

6. S10-4x4

S10-4x4 1/2 ton status

Your rambling helped alot.....
    Just one more thing and I think everyone as answered every question I could have right now....
    Since I won't be able to plug this Blazer in....I have heard about something for truckers that will turn their engine on at certain temps or periods of time?
    Whoops...one more...
    Does anyone know of a FREE diesel web page forum?
    Thanks
    S10-4x4

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've owned a '90 K5 with the 6.2 diesel for about 6 years now. I live in Ohio where it is not uncommon to reach zero or below in the mornings. The only time the vehicle would not start was when the original batteries were worn out, and replacing them cured the problem. I know it has been as cold as 15 below in the morning and it has started right up with no additive or having it plugged in, just expect it to take awhile to warm up.

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

9. GuidoKoch

GuidoKoch Registered Member

Hi, come to germany. The Diesel here is very good, my K5 starts without any Problems at -20C
    Greeting from Germany , Guido www.Guido-Koch.de