Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel into a Crew Cab...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 90blzr, Dec 11, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just curious. I have a '91 Crew Cab...has big block in it now. Been driving a couple Diesels...one a Super Duty 2001, and one a 2001 Chevy HD and man do those fawkers have balls.

How hard would it be and what are the costs of putting something like that into an older crew cab? What engine and from what model would be best?
    Dont know if the diesels work good with big tires or? (42's/44's) With the right gearing, maybe it wouldnt matter?

Dont really know a whole lot...actually anything/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif about diesels.

Just curious. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Put in a mechanically injected balanced 6.5 18:1 Turbo diesel from Diesel Depot into it. Cost is about $5500 for a completly rebuilt 6.5 with GM8 turbo and all injection hardware.

It would be much easier to install the 6.5 than any other diesel. 454 and 6.5 engine mounts are in the exact same place, tranny would pount up perfectly. The only interference point it the Turbo hitting the AC box, this can be trimmed. Jamie at the Diesel Depot knows how to make a GM diesel run and last. These motors make about 300 HP and over 500 ft pounds.

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif What kinda mileage those biatches get and how are they comparted to the HD's and superduties?

What about computer controlled stuff?

They got a website?

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

or you could swap in a cummins. you could pick up a cummins with trans for a decent price. properly tuned and modded you could blow away your buddys' PS and IsuzuMax. but this may involve a little too much work.

the 6.5 would get pretty good gas mileage, but that is hard to tell for sure without knowing gears/trans/tires/driving habbit. i know i drive with a heavy right foot and get a consitant 19.3 MPG out of my N/A 6.2L.

the mechanically injected would definately be the way to go, no real computer for the engine. im sure tRustyK5 be of more help, as he swapped a 6.2 into his blazer.

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif What years/models would the Cummins need to be from? What do you mean by a little to much work? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif How about cost vs. the one mentioned above?

What would be the pros/cons between the 6.5 that was mentioned above and the cummins?

tires will be 42's or 44's...depends what comes up at the time. Not sure how well diesels like big tires...guess it depends on gearing. What gears would be needed for a diesel with that range of tire size? I know they make power down low.

As far as tranny goes...its a 4L80E.

If I could get 19mpg in this pig I'd be a happy person to say the least....just doesnt seem possible...but I dont know diesels that well.

Any cons to a diesel vs. gas?

I always thought diesels were dogs...but damn these newer trucks MOVE /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Is that the turbo or??

Are they expensive to maintain?

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

the cummins i think went electronic in 96, but i am not sure on this.

the cummins would (as far as i know) require a different trans, different mounts, and more as it was designed to be in a dodge.

the cummins would have more low end torque, but would reach redline at a lower rpm also. the 6.5 would be good for more top end HP, as the engine turns faster.

yeah, those new diesels are fast, my neighbor has a tweaked PS that he races, and he tows his 11 sec lightning with.

i am hoping tRusty pops in here, as he has a lot more info than i do.

7. bigblock454

Mileage is a hard one to estimate. My 86 K20 Burb with 3.73s and 31" tires would get about 19 on the highway cruising at 65 MPH, it weighed in at over 7000 pounds.

The cummins swap is vastly more difficult as it is so long. You would have do firewall and radiator mount modifications, but it will fit if you are willing to work at it. The Diesel Depot also sells an adaptor kit to mount the engine to a GM tranny. Technically the cummins is a better engine than the 6.5, but the cummins only revs to about 2800 RPMs, this would be a problem with tall gears. As the price is about the same for both, the GM 6.5 Drop in turbo engine is the way to go. The Diesel Depot knows the short commings of the 6.5 and works around them, making them strong and reliable.

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The cummins swap is vastly more difficult as it is so long. You would have do firewall and radiator mount modifications, but it will fit if you are willing to work at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BS, many people have done this swap with no modification to either and still used the mechanical fan.

[ QUOTE ]
    but the cummins only revs to about 2800 RPMs,

[/ QUOTE ] Once again, BS, they rev higher than that from the factory and if you want more you can very easily put a governor spring kit in and not start defueling til 3800 or so and fuel shutoff at 4000, both higher than a 6.2 or 6.5.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not gonna wade into the big CTD versus the 6.5TD vs whatever else argument...but don't let me stop you guys. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Just play nice K?)

Anyways, the 6.2/6.5 is a pretty straightforward swap, plus it uses all factory parts which is kinda nice.

Mileage...I run 40's, 4.56's and no overdrive and average 16+ mpg. My truck weighs an easy 6300 lbs. Similar gears with an overdrive and a 6.5 TD would likely net a couple more mpg. I'd say 19 is possible, if not likely.

Tyler, don't they make 4000 rpm and 4800 rpm pumps for the 6.2 and 6.5? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

10. BlueBlazer

Anything is possible when you play around with the governor, its a question of can the motor take that RPM without grenading.

11. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your question about big tires and a diesel... diesels make more torque and especially at a lower RPM than a gas motor. This is a good combo for big tires and stock gears. A gear change is still a very good idea though.
    Torque is more important than HP with turning big tires, it's the same idea as towing.
    And the guy that said a 2800RPM redline and tall gears would be a problem... don't you mean low gears would be a problem?

13. bigblock454

[ QUOTE ]
    BS, many people have done this swap with no modification to either and still used the mechanical fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to get into a pissing match but I have never seen or heard of one without some modifications.

[ QUOTE ]
    Once again, BS, they rev higher than that from the factory and if you want more you can very easily put a governor spring kit in and not start defueling til 3800 or so and fuel shutoff at 4000, both higher than a 6.2 or 6.5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you can always regovenor something, but stock Cummins Yellow/Red zone starts somewhere about 2800. It is definatly lower RPM range than stock 6.2s and 6.5s.

And how about saying something like "I disagree" instead of jumping off with an attitude by saying "BS". I am here trying to help and don't appreciate it.

14. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey, a pising match between the Cummings and the Chevy and I ain't in it!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. BlueBlazer

I say BS because you come off like what you said is the gospel truth when in fact you are just speculating that it needs firewall and core support modification. Also, you said that the 5.9 only revs to 2800 rpm which is more than a few hundred rpm lower than its governed speed. I apologize for the tone I used in my reply, but I DO NOT believe in giving out info that is misinformed, speculation, or not from personal experience.

16. azblazor

I have corresponded with Dan in michigan. He has a 96 CTD and everything to hookup to a chevy trany. The CTD is 2600 and the adapters and such are 500. email Dsplus4@aol.com for more info. I am considering this for my son's crewcab shortbed we are building.

17. bigblock454

You are right, I have never done a complete CTD swap, but as almost all of us do here we draw conclusions from our many sources weather personal, a friend, or the many messages we read on boards like this. I have read Turbo Diesel Register for years (a Cummins site) and believe my statement to be fairly accurate.

Thanks for the apology, I will however try to include "I h ave never done it, but I believe this is true" in my next CTD into Chevy discussion. No hard feelings.

Andy

18. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hmmm....so is it worth it to buy new/rebuilt? Or can some good deals be found on used stuff? I really dont know what to look for?
    What is the difference between the 6.2 and the 6.5? What do the duramax and the superduty have in them?

I was also reading another post where a guy was getting 10mpg and really wasnt happy with the 6.5....but then some say they are getting 16-19mpg? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Like I said, I really dont know to much about diesels...so this is all kinda new to me./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

19. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Who is Dan in Michigan...and why are you going with a cummins rather than the 6.2 or 6.5 GM?

Also...what years do I need to keep an eye out for? Also what is a reasonable price for the engines/trannies?

Would the 4L80E be a good tranny for a one of these diesel engines?

What is 'normal' power for these engines?

Do most of these diesels have Turbos?

20. azblazor

[ QUOTE ]
    Who is Dan in Michigan...and why are you going with a cummins rather than the 6.2 or 6.5 GM?

[/ QUOTE ]

A: Dan is a friend from the forum here who is not a paying member "Diesel Dan". He has a similiar interest in diesels and trucks.

We are not locked into the details of the drivetrain yet. We have a running 6.2, a 6.5TD to choose from here. We are considering the CTD because frankly it's a better diesel. I have two other trucks with the 6.2 and I like the 6.2. But the CTD is a I6 and is designed as a heavier duty diesel for medium duty trucks and it has a longer service life and more power really than the V8 6.2 or even the 6.5 TD stock.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also...what years do I need to keep an eye out for? Also what is a reasonable price for the engines/trannies?

[/ QUOTE ]

A: I look for later model 6.2's (86 up) and earlier model 6.5TD (mech inj)(92-93). CTD's (3 generations see the turbodieselregister) have proponents for the 12 valve models and others like the 24valve (newer). I would look for non computer models myself 89-9?).

[ QUOTE ]
    Would the 4L80E be a good tranny for a one of these diesel engines?

[/ QUOTE ]
    A: Yes

[ QUOTE ]
    What is 'normal' power for these engines?

[/ QUOTE ]
    These figures are off the top of my head and very subject to correction by anybody else and are for stock configuration:

6.2 very approx~130 to 170ish HP, 240 to ?lbs torque
    6.5 190ish HP - high 200s to over 300 torgue?
    CTD somewhere above the 6.5, more significant amount in the torque department.

[ QUOTE ]
    Do most of these diesels have Turbos?

[/ QUOTE ]
    The 6.5 (TD -means turbo diesel), also comes in NA, the 6.2 came with a Banks from the factory for a few years before the 6.5 TD came out. Banks Turbo systems can still be bought for the 6.2.

The CTD means Cummins Turbo Diesel. Can be found with and without intercooler ( cools the intake air for denser charge - hence more power)