Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel K5 running hot?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Aug 28, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

my 6.2 in my 83 blazer seems to be running hot. the temp guage on the dash is reading 220 after it warms up and runs for a bit. is this too hot?:confused: i dont no much about diesels so any input on this one would be greatly appreciated.

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Is there bubbles running back into the overflow resevoir after running it for a little while? 220 is a bit too hot for a diesel, may have a head gasket leak or cracked block that rears its ugly head after starting.

could be a bad guage though, try running it from cold with no rad cap on at idle and see if it gets hot

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

At idle a 6.2 should have trouble getting warm enough to open the thermostat. They really don't warm up until they work a bit. If it's getting that hot at idle I'd be taking a much closer look at everything to find the problem.

Rene

4. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

should i start by flushing the radiator? or do you think its more involved then that?

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

thats a good start

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

but first!..

Remove the thermostat before flushing ,for best resuls..I'd ditch it and get a new one,whatever temp the 6.2 came with originally (sorry,I'm not sure what temp is correct for a diesel--gas motors use 195 degrees,but I've never had to change my 6.2's thermostst yet!)...if flushing doesn't help,it could be a head gasket or leak in the block,or a clogged radiator that isn't flowing enough coolant..or a defective water pump impeller,collapsed hoses,etc..

I'd check with an accurate gauge before doing anything..the dash gauges are not known for great accuracy!..if its not peuking coolant out of the overflow,its probably not overheating...:crazy:

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

X2

My factory guages were so far off I might as well have had idiot lights instead...

Rene