Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIESEL MAINTAINANCCE

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by JORGE, Mar 19, 2001.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Hello again friends,
    Well i have more questions,i haven,t any information about the 6.2 Diesel engine,i have the Haynes manual,translated to the Spanish,but it doesn,t includes the 6.2 Diesel engines.Well,when i,ll pick-up my Blazer i would like to change it the engine oil and filters,the tranny oil the tranny filter etc,etc.
    So i have some questions:
    What oil capacity has the engine?The oil i suppouse 15w/40,20w/50
    Tranny fluid capacity?Automatic transsmissions fluid Dexron type,can be?
    Somebody has about 6.2 diesel Haynes manual?I would need the title and Haynes reference,for try order it.
    Very thanks again.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Good maintenance is the key to the longevity of your diesel. A lot of the problems I've seen with 6.2s can be traced back to poor maintenance. Remember that the internals of a diesel motor deal with a lot more abuse than those of a gasser, and therefore more care must be taken to assure that recommended maintenance schedules are followed very closely. I personally take it one step further and do most of the stuff sooner. The following are VERY important:

1. Change the oil every 4000 kms, sooner if you tow or run in hot weather. Use a good quality 15w40 oil, or straight 30 weight if your temperatures are regularly above 10celcius. I change my oil every 2500-3000kms depending on my driving. Crankcase capacity on a 6.2 is 6.5 litres.

2. Keep your air filter clean at all times. A diesel needs lots of air to run properly. I go through around 3 air filters a year- once it starts to look a little dirty, I change it out. You could even go to the next step and install a K&N filter. I've been meaning to for years, but can't quite stomach the $85 they're asking for them up here. Of course, I've spent more than that on paper filters in the last three years, but anyway..........

3. I'm not sure what kind of diesel is available in Spain, but if it is labled "Low Sulphur", you should use a quality diesel fuel additive to compensate for the lack of lubricity. A good additive will also disperse water in your system and prevent bacteria and mold growth in your tanks. I use a product made by Stanadyne- these are the guys who built your injection pump so it's safe to assume they know what your system needs.

4. You should plan on changing BOTH your fuel filters every 20,000 kms or yearly, whichever comes first.

I service my tranny once a year. I'm not sure of the overall capacity of the system(around 13 litres????), but the pan holds pretty close to 5 litres- if you change your fluid and filter regularly, you shouldn't have any problems. If you have a 700r4(overdrive transmission) you'll use Dexron.

Sorry for the long-winded response- post any more questions you have and I'll be happy to fill you in.........

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Haynes has a Diesel Tech manual that covers the GM 6.2 and 6.5 diesel engines. Look for it. It does a decent job of covering the mechanical aspects of the 6.2.

4. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Well,i,ll try to keep the truck better than i can,is hard to find parts and accesesories here ,well,with time and money all is possible.I only hope the truck is in the very good shape the owner sais, i hope don,t have big troubles with it.
    Thanks for the guesses,and i,ll make know to you.

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Haynes (I think) has a diesel techbook. It covers the 5.7l, 6.2l, 6.5l, and the 6.9l and 7.3l fords. It's a pretty good book with good info.

[​IMG]

6. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

Yes it covers this engines exactly.I,ve found a bookshop,that buying only cars books and i ,ve already ordered the haynes book.I ,m waiting it ,i think it,ll arrive in these days.I hope to can speak about it with you soon.Thanks.