Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel muscle car?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Mar 21, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

so a 500HP 500TQ chevelle would kick much ass from a gas stand point, but what about 500HP and like 750-1000TQ, why dont more people do this? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The frame wouldnt take it and youd have to run a rear axle that would darn near drag on the ground. Also, a trans that would take that torque would be hard to fit under the floorboards.

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Is there a small enough, light enough diesel with a high enough redline for such an application (lets exclude expensive and difficult to adapt euro-diesels for the moment...)? I think the biggest problem is packaging. You sure as hell aren't going to fit a Cummins in a muscle car. I'd sure like to see some light turbodiesels available in compact and 1/2 ton trucks. Those older LUV diesels got 40-50 mpg and ran forever. So did/do the Nissan and Toyota diesels available overseas.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i want a diesel
    its the only way ill be able to keep my k5

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Somewhere I saw a 4bt in I believe a Roadrunner or Belvedere, maybe it was a Dart, I cant remember. Anyway, it may have had a P-Pump which means it could easily push 400 hp and 800 ft lbs of torque and about the same weight as a 440.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've always wanted to drop a 6BT into a car or 2wd short bed truck. An old Detroit would have a good redline for a street car but man would that be big and heavy to stick in there.