Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel newbee *DELETED*

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BDT, Aug 9, 2001.

1. BDT

BDT Newbie

Post deleted by BDT

2. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

Re: diesel newbee

You will have less maintenance with a diesel! 19mpg isn't really good for a 6.2. My uncles gets 28mpg and his doesn't have a turbo.

Rust=Good
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bodatious.com> bodatious </a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudboggingfun.homestead.com> my site </a>

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I love my diesel, 19 mpg is still better then a gasser.

Theres nothing like fiddling with my Jimmy! 1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31 x10.50 x 15

4. Double_T

Double_T Registered Member

B,
    I think the Diesel is what you're loking for. Increased mileage is just one benefit. You're right about the power (torque) and they can be sluggish which is why all mfgs turbo thier Diesels now. Banks makes an excellent product, don't be scared of it. Also, you weren't born knowing how to work on gassers, were you? This sites ok for Diesel info, but check out Ford-Diesel.com. 62-65Diesel.com used to be good also till they started charging membership fees for thier info (seems to me like thats double dipping by charging the user and the sponsor, and don't get me started). The dodge site isn't that good - too much trash talking. Also check into the library. There's a book by Jack Dempsey everyone NEEDS to have. Anyways, buy the damn truck, learn about Diesels, and live the good life.
    PS- have you been to Holy Cross City lately?
    PSS- all makes, models and years have their quirks and idio synchracies. I believe the '84 6.2 had fuel filter and glow plug relay problems. Both of which an aftermarket kit can remedy. And for God's sake don't be scared of the smoke (unburned fuel if black). If it does blow white smoke (antifreeze) walk quickly to yer Jeep. If the heater doesn't work and it's full of antifreeze, walk quickly to yer Jeep again. Both are signs of head problem, gasket or otherwise. With proper maintenence the Diesel will probably outlast you. I sold my Ford with 350k on it. What tranny does it have?

5. BDT

BDT Newbie

Post deleted by BDT

6. Double_T

I've never heard that quote before, and I wouldn't worry about short jaunts. DON'T BE SCARED!! The tranny, on the other hand, should be checked out by a COMPETENT shop (someone you really trust). I bet the tranny is the 4sp auto, which has it's share if problems. But it's no reason to shy away from the truck. Is it a good deal? Remember: something's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it (have you heard that quote before?). Regarding short jaunts and longevity, proper maintenence is the key; not miles driven. Diesels have become somewhat of a status symbol. Look at all the contractors and const. personel who have them and don't need them. They don't drive the "required" 100 miles do they? Seriosly though, smell the tranny fluid and see what you think. Now if it's the 3sp auto, nevermind about the problem areas. That would be the Turbo 400, one of the strongest trannys made.
    Losing "500"miles every time you shut it off? Don't let that quote insult your intelligence. If you shut it off twice per day (at work and at home) that would equal about 300,000 miles per year. Is that right? You do the math!!

7. Arizona_Mike

Arizona_Mike Registered Member

I agree with Double T about 62-65Diesel.com They are very bias and if you let anyone know about a product that is not sold by one of their advertisers the they get their painties in a bunch. Get this, they talk more about the Duramax and don't charge for membership on that section of the forum. Everything that is on their forum is copyrighted or so they say. The member is not who they care about, maybe some day they will get a clue, but I dought it

8. Double_T

B
    I don't know if $5k is fair or not, I'm in a different region. Is this the 1st Diesel you've looked at? Get out and drive a bunch. Have a few drinks, grab your keys and go to all the dealerships you can until you sober up. Past experience says this would be 1.2 dealerships. Flag down others who own what you want to buy and see what they think. Now, I'm not knocking you for that "same team" crap, but aren't we all on the "same team"? Civilians aren't the only bad guys, I've been screwed by plenty of Rocket Ranchers.
    AZ,
    I'm glad, no, exstatic, that other GM based Diesel owners feel the same way about "that" page! It used to be so good, then someone got greedy. A prime example of the "Golden Rule" - he who has the gold, rules. I wrote several times pleading with them not to charge fees to users. I want to say I hope they lost a lot of members, but that wouldn't be nice. Would it be OK if one of our Spanish speaking compadres told them to "F**k Off" in Spanish so they wouldn't know what we were sayin?