Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel + Nos =

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Mar 16, 2006.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

so i was driving my slow ass diesel today and i was wondering. since diesel motors can handle high boost levels. why not just put a 75 to 100 shot of NOS on it. has anyone done this. what are the ups and downs of doing this..

2. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Bullydog, NOS, And nitrous express all offer kits for diesels. There is no downs except refilling the bottle, And unlike gasoline engines you can not lean a diesel engine out.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Propane Injection Baby!!!!!

4. general blaze

what can get better power gains. NOS or propane. i thought propane was just used on turbos to keep the temps down so you dont get knock at high boost levels.. anyway let me know.. thanks for the help.,.. NOS HERE I COME!!!

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I was told propane injection is the bomb for diesels.. plus you can get it at any rv place and some gas stations.... not the same with NOS... also people dont know this but some states require you to have a permit to carry a NOS bottle... it is an explosive.... :crazy:

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Its called nitrous, NOS is a brand name. :) Have a nice day.
    *edit* that was for general blaze

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nitrous oxide and turbo diesels are a match made in heaven. Reason is if you squeeze the motor too hard nothing will happen but loosing some power, no finicy air/fuel ratio, blowing holee in pistons... I love diesels.

Propane is not that popular really. What it does is help burn 100% of the air/fuel in the cylinder. Diesel alone doesn't completely burn in a diesel engine, which is why you get smoke at times, etc. When the propane makes 100% of the fuel burn you gain some power and it helps cool the EGT's some since running rich and having unburnt fuel is what drives temps up. Propane does drive mileage up, but is offset with a second tank to fill, duh.

It's really not that popular of an add on, most guys just prefer a nice black box for power, some bigger injectors, and if they are having EGT issues it seems a larger turbo is more popular than propane, obviously.

8. general blaze

ya but since i dont think my truck has any type of chip in it for modding i am guess guessing it has a mass airflow sensor and is just a flow based system. would nitrous (for you grammer correct people) be a good way to bolt on some HP. i talked to nitrous express and they said it would work. but you neve know who you are talking to i could have just got a new guy who is answering the phones not exactly a pro.. anyway i am buying this next week if all goes the way it seems and this kit will work on my 83k5 6.2

9. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

You can put both nitrous and propane for even better results. propane is just another fuel, And nitrous is just another way to add oxygen. Combine the both and they work together very well. you can also look into methanol injection for a few more ponies.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have a 6.2 it has no computer system. It's a mechanical motor, meaning no computer, no chip, and no mass air flow sensor. There isn't a whole lot you can do to that engine, it's just not real mod friendly like the later diesels. Your best bet is to just turbo charge it, that will gain you the most economical power. Squeezing the motor all the time seems a little silly to me, and be expensive.

Saying NOS like they do in fast in the furious sounds silly. That is like saying "should I add Edelbrock to my truck, would some Edelbrock work well?"

No, I don't think nitrous is a good way to add power to your engine, it's not efficient and costs too much to maintain. I would look into a turbo kit long before I would nitrous.

11. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use propane...it eats the motor faster than all the other options. Propane really does remove miles from the life of the engine, so I'd stick to a turbo kit only for a 6.2. Nitrous on a 6.2 is just asking to break a rod in half.

12. ballu_one

ballu_one Registered Member

man are u on drugs or what u lost me in the mud and trees come out man thanks u should juce it up like a crack rock on fire

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

is it just me or do other people find themselves going :confused: aftyer one of his posts? i dont think ive been able to understand one yet:o

14. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

man, I searched your posts the other day? Are you just some dude joking around wasthing bandwidth? Or are you honestly high/drunk all the time? Not trying to be mean, but You have never made a cohereant post on ck5 :eek1:
    thanks,
    James

15. general blaze

are you talking to me or that ballu one dude!??

16. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I think he is referring to balu one:wink1:

17. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

If its a stock 6.2 try turning your pump up at bit, that wont cost you anytime.

Here is a banks sidewinder turbo kit. It would help ya out alot power wise...costly though. In the long run I think it would be better then nitrous though. I had/have a turbo'd 6.2 it was homebrewed and somewhat hacked together from the previous owner. But she had plenty of power. Simple fact that the motor had 260 or 360(im not sure)thousand miles on it is why it died, it actaully still runs but not as good as it used to.

I used to have a link to a write up on how to turn up your injector pump, ill see if i can find it and ill post it up

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tell that to my uncle's buddy that blew a few rods on his 7.3L running Nitrous...

Nitrous nor Propane is the way to good HP on Diesels IMO. More air and fuel are the keys, a turbo and turning the pump up are the best options. Nitrous may not be AS dangerous in a Diesel but it can still do damage. Besides, wouldn't you rather have power all the time not just when you hit the button or decide to fill the bottle up(not free).

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The biggest problem with the 1/2 tons (including K5's) that got 6.2's stock was the gearing sucks...and they have an EGR manifold. Drop a 'J' code manifold on it, turn up the fuel a little and swap to some better gearing. 3.08's and an OD tranny is just retarded, and makes the truck stupid slow for no good reason.

If after that you want/need more throw a turbo on it.

Rene

20. general blaze

where do i get one of these j code intake