Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel oil in a gas motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I was wondering about this recently. I am currently using running 15w40 Valvoline in my truck. It is the black 1 gallon bottle available at my local Checker. It is approved for use in Cummins motors.

Is there anything wrong running a Diesel approved oil in a gas motor? Thanks

Harley

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't think so, its multigrade oil. A few times when I still had my apartment and didn't feel like dealing with them ( wasn't supposed to do it there ). I let the dealership around my work do it ( 5 Star Ford.... shhh , they were close ) . They reccomended it since I asked for 20 w 50 . I run 20 w 50 once again as I have a house now , and place to work. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Oil is rated based on what kind of engine it is for. Look at the back on the API label. The "C" ratings are for compression ignition (Diesel) and the "S" ratings for spark, or gasoline.

I've yet to see a Diesel rated oil that wasn't rated for a gas engine as well, but the inverse is OFTEN not true. Not very many oils are made for Diesels...nearly any will work in a gasoline engine.

4. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    ...nearly any will work in a gasoline engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly./forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

There is also a combined classification oil. Do a google search on it. Or look at Revtech ( motorcycle guys should know Revtech ) they have an API SH/CG-4 oil available. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't worry about it, I've ran 15w-40 Delo in my 406 before and I know a diesel mechanic that only runs 15 40 in his gas powered service truck. With all the HD additives you could probably go a few extra miles before changing it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I run Delo-400 in my Cummins, Blazer and ElCamino.
    It carries a SJ rating which is approved for gasoline engines. Some of the differences is the Diesel oils dont have all the friction reducing additives (Energy Conserving Rating) but their a higher quality oil compared to the normal oils.

7. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

No problem with it man..My buddy is running Rotella in his 502 with NO ill effects in over 3 years of HARD driving.

Chris

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A note of caution--diesel rated oil is very high in detergent,so dont use it in a motor that hasnt had regular oil and filter changes,or in old cars and tractors that may have been run on non-detergent oil--it will loosen up all the laquer and sludge and send it throughout the motor.
    But if your engine is clean,the diesel oil will keep it much cleaner than regular gas rated oil--I was amazed when I took the valve covers and intake off a small block I had to do a cam swap--it was like brand new inside,and more than a few times I went 5000 miles before changing the oil!.
    I find it easier to just buy 15w40 in the one or two gallon jugs and use it in all my trucks,after making sure the engine isnt all sludged up first!.It also seems to burn slower than 10w30,10w40,or20w50 if your motor smokes or uses some oil too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

i run the rotella in every thing it says its for gas and diesel engines. the oil for diesel is just a better oil.

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the whole 5 years i had my blazer up to the point I sold it..i ran the shell rotella oil in it...came out of the same 500gal tank that our semi trucks use...so i would say no problem at all...and even in the buggy now (4.3 chevy v-6) i run the same oil...and no issue...even ran the oil PSI down to 0 a couple times when i was upside down /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I tore up a cam and lifters using that stuff, used to get it for free through a previous trucking company i worked at. It worked for awhile, until things started getting noisy, then when i drained out the oil, it resembled black water.

12. pauly383

Which engine ? The one in the Nova before you went through it , or the Monte ? All summer the year before the house, when we were wheeling , that was the dealership 15w40, except for the times at your house with 20w50 . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Nope, the Monte Carlo, the 305

14. pauly383

I miss the Monte /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. 88Silverado

Interesting...most of them are SJ rated for cars.
    I could see if it got pretty cold the 15W wouldnt flow real well at cold startup /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't know if it had anything to do with the Arizona summer heat just helping to break down the viscosity or what, but the cam did die, and i had no other signs or sounds coming from the engine until the first oil change with this type of oil used, alittle after with driving of course., but i will never attempt it's use ever again, now it's only 20w/50 in the Phoenix area, if i get into colder climates, like Flagstaff in the winter, ( which i was there a few years ago) i run 10w/40. That 20/50 is some thick stuff when it's 4 degrees out /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Even 10W-40 is pretty thick at 4 degrees.

Some think I'm crazy but I run 5W-30 in my trail machine. It doesn't need anything thicker, it has great oil pressure.

20W-50 only for the tow rig though.

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

25/50 is all i run in my DD, with 215k miles on it, it kinda needs the thicker oil to,,,,well,,,keep the oil in it.

If i run anything lighter, it smokes more, and gets noisy. Lifters and such. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

But also with the AZ temps outside around the 110-118 mark, the oil tends to break down with the higher engine temps alittle quicker as well. I was told the in the middle of AZ summer, the engine oil will actually break down one whole grade, something like 20/50 breaking down to a 10/40 grade and so on.

Just came home today from a little cross city trip, and my temp was runnin right at 210 all the way, alittle warm i think.

19. 88Silverado

When my old motor was starting to burn oil I switched to the old single weight. Slowed down the burn rate.

I bought an old 63 Chevy pickup in highschool with a worn out 283 that would burn a quart of straight Valvoline 70W every 50 miles /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Use to pile my buddies in the front seat, go to the local drivethru that had a cover over the window, let that thing idle in line and really load up, then when we got to the window and had our food, I would rev it up to blow out the smoke then take off. Place would be in a white cloud for 5 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Cant believe how much of an a$$hole I was when I was young /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif