Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Oil

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BurbLover, Apr 25, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

What oil should I run in my 6.2? This is the first one I've ever owned and I drained it already. Stuff looks like black molasis. However, beofre I put in my standard 10W40, I thought I'd see if there is anything special I need to used. Thanks.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, you need C (for compression ignition) rated oil. Rotella T, Chevron Delo, Mobil Delvac all in 15W40 will work for you.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

you should run oil rated for diesel use. It is designed for the extra fuel and soot that contaminates the oil so easily, especially on motors like the 6.2. Look for the "c" rating on the little ASE label on the back of the bottle. C is for combustion where S is for spark. Most people run Shell Rotella 15w-40 or the strait 30.

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Is there advantage/disadvantage to running 15W40 vs 30?

BTW, thanks for the replies guys.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Depends on the weather conditions. If you are going to be experienceing below freezing (I go by 40*, but thats just me) then you will want the 15w40. I believe that GM recomends the 30 over the 15w40 when temps are going to remain above 32*. That doesnt mean you cant run the 15, but they say to run the 30.

6. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I'm off to buy some 30W. BTW, 7 qts for a 6.2 with filter change, correct?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yup, 7 quarts with the filter.

I run the 15W40 year round.

Rene

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't put straight 30w in. GM recommends 15W40 for the 6.5L. Multi-viscosity oils are much better suited for cool mornings and hot afternoons. Plus, it may be harder to find diesel rated 30w oil. You can pick up Shell Rotella T 15W40 at Wal-Mart or any parts store. Good stuff used by many heavy duty diesel rigs.

If you pull the dipstick out, you'll notice that it says to use 10W30. At the time our 6.2L's were built, 15W40 wasn't available. Now GM recommends the later, better oil for our 6.2L's.

Casey

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im using 15w40 Rotella. My next oil change will be 5w40 Synthetic Rotella.

Since its designed for "dirtier" running engines (aka diesels) What, if any drawbacks would there be in running it in a SBC?

Synth rotella at walmart is only like 12 bucks a gallon. Doesnt seem too extreme for 3 bucks a quart. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't put straight 30w in. GM recommends 15W40 for the 6.5L. Multi-viscosity oils are much better suited for cool mornings and hot afternoons. Plus, it may be harder to find diesel rated 30w oil. You can pick up Shell Rotella T 15W40 at Wal-Mart or any parts store. Good stuff used by many heavy duty diesel rigs.

If you pull the dipstick out, you'll notice that it says to use 10W30. At the time our 6.2L's were built, 15W40 wasn't available. Now GM recommends the later, better oil for our 6.2L's.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

My visor says to use either 30, 15w-40, or 10w30 if its real cold. My 83 Toyota recomends 15w-40, so that weight was arround back then.

My parts store has Rotella 15w-40 right next to the Rotella 30.

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Im using 15w40 Rotella. My next oil change will be 5w40 Synthetic Rotella.

Since its designed for "dirtier" running engines (aka diesels) What, if any drawbacks would there be in running it in a SBC?

Synth rotella at walmart is only like 12 bucks a gallon. Doesnt seem too extreme for 3 bucks a quart. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There wouldn't be any drawbacks to using the diesel rated oil in the gasser, as long as it's rated for both (S and C ratings on the label). In fact, it would be rather convienent to use the same oil for all your vehicles. However, I've never seen any benefit to going to synthetic with our 6.2L's unless you live in an extremely cold environment. You can't extend the drain intervals because the synthetics get clogged with soot just as fast as the good old dino oil does. I'm not sure what you're getting in return for more expensive oil.

Of course, oil preferences can get rather personal it seems like!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Casey

12. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

On a secondary note, why cant I use my old motor oil in my diesel engine? (in theory, this should work just lovely!)

13. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

<<Since its designed for "dirtier" running engines (aka diesels) What, if any drawbacks would there be in running it in a SBC?>>

No drawbacks at all, really. A "diesel quality" 15w40 is designed to be resistant to soot dilution, so since an sbc produces less soot than a diesel, the oil won't degrade as fast. I like the 15w40 in an egr engine for this very reason, as egr fouls oil much quicker.

I've been running 15w40 Quantum Blue in my 305 "powered" 87 k5 for the last 17,000 miles I've driven it, and the truck itself has over 200k on it.

I recently had an oil analysis done for the Blazer by Titan Labs in Denver. Perhaps the results might be of interest. The truck had 200,141 miles on it at the time of the test. I had run the previous 8,000 miles on the Quantum Blue 15w40, drained it, then replaced it with same. After 3,439 miles on THIS oil change, I took a sample from the oil pan.

Viscosity cSt@ 100c .. 14.0 According to SAE viscosity standards, the viscosity range should be 12.4 to 16.2 for unused oil, so the oil hasn't thickened up over time.

SAE grade 100c .. 40

Fuel soot % WT 0.0

No water, Fuel dilution, or anti freeze in oil

Wear Metals PPM

Chromium 1

Copper 6

Iron 58

Lead 10

Tin 0

Aluminum 4

Silicon ( Dirt ) 11

Additives and Other Metals, PPM ( Additive package in base stock )

Antimony 0

Barium 0

Boron 6

Cadmium 1

Calcium 1694

Magnesium 301

Molybdenum 10

Nickel 0

Phosphorus 2555

Silver 0

Sodium 45

Titanium 45

Zinc 710

If you want to check out quantum blue oils, go here: www.bndautomotive.com and call the folks up for the whole story.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On a secondary note, why cant I use my old motor oil in my diesel engine? (in theory, this should work just lovely!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean using the oil as fuel? If so, then yes, it would work. I have heard of guys who use old oil, ATF, etc. in their diesel pickups. I wouldn't want to, because it would probably wear out the injection pump and injectors pretty quick. You'd want to filter it really well. Plus, the truck would probably smoke really bad and not run too great.

But in all reality, any type of oil will burn in our 6.2L's.

Casey