Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel or Gas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm looking at buying myself a newer truck to use as a daily driver. I'd decided that I wanted a regular cab longbox, or ext cab shortbox 96+ 4x4 Chevy pickup, with a 5.7 / 5 speed.

I've found a few trucks that fit the bill in the area, but one in specific that came up is a 2500HD Regular Cab Longbox 6.5L diesel truck with a 5 speed, full load of options, and really low miles, only about 65 000. The guy is asking $6500, which is 500 more than the Pathfinder I have right now is gonna be selling for (already have a buyer)

What do you guys think, is the diesel engine worth considering? I will be using the truck for driving between home and the bus station to catch a ride to school each morning, which is about a 20 minute drive at 60 mph for most of the trip. I would also use the truck for hauling water, and taking my quad around.

My only real concern is cold starting. I live in an area that frequents -30 to -40F, and I would need it to sit in the parkade for most of the day while I am at school, without any power for plugging in, unless I score and get one of the nicer spots with power.

I suppose an option is a remote starter that will start and run the truck for 10 minutes every hour or two to keep it warm, but I can see that using a lot of fuel, and also creating some major carbon buildups...

What do you guys think?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you should pass and sent the truck down to me:D , Im looking for somthing along the same lines, i would rather have a diesel than a gas truck becasue they get better fuel mileage

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say diesel for the mileage

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

I'd hit it........................if I didn't have a cummins :D .

but seriously the 6.5 is really a good driver engine. My old neighbor had one in his old 1500. He hauled sleds and bikes all over the interior of BC. Good mileage, reliable providing problem areas have been taken care of and updated. invest in a Webasto you live in an area that is cold enough to warrant one.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If the option is between a 5.7L and a 6.5L diesel then I would probably just go with the 5.7L. I would also try and find a TBI motor instead of a Vortech so it is easier to work on.

The diesel isn't a bad option but it will not like that kind of cold weather at all if you can't plug it in. The worst I have done to my Cummins is -20* F not plugged in. The truck was not very happy with me when I started it the next morning. It was rattling like a mofo when I started it for a few minutes until it started to loosen up a little.

Harley

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, just called to arrange a time to look at the truck, and its gone already, DOH!

Oh well, keep my search up!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Propane heater...

The truck is gone!--oh well,ya snooze,ya lose!..:doah:

But don't discount a diesel due to lack of electricity to plug in a block heater--they sell propane powered ones that use disposeable propane bottles just like the torches use for "big rigs"..

I see them for sale used at swap meets often--they will deliver far more heat that a 6.5 would need,if it'll heat up a Mack or a Kenworth!..without one,at 40 below,I would not have high hopes of getting a diesel "lit" !..and I agree nothing sounds worse than a diesel eingine started when its frigid cold,with NO block heater!..sounds like the pistons are a half inch smaller than the cylinders!.:eek1:

I know one guy who uses one in his shop, with baseboard heat, to heat it!..uses a 20 lb gas grill bottle,lasts a whole week of 8 hour days in his shop!..--I'm considering using a propane hot water heater in similar fashion,and ditching my hot air/oil furnace..its old,needs work,and wastes about 6' of precious space,not to mention expensive to run!..:crazy:

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

That sounds very much like a herman nelson that you're describe. not very practical for a parking lot. Research the Webasto, its a diesel fired heater that bolts to your framerail or underhood for the smaller ones. yes they are expensive but there is absolutely no substitute for cold weather diesels. It will keep your coolant at almost operating temperature thermostatically controlled. There isn't one piece of oilfield equipment that I've built in the last 2 years that doesn't have one or something equivalent. then after that you get into hydraulic powered water brakes and such things, and thats just not applicable for you. Espar is another brand that makes diesel fired coolant heaters.