Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel power anyone?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyDie6.2, Jun 20, 2000.

1. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I'm the new guy, so first off, HELLO.
    Just curious if any of you guys are sporting a 6.2 in any of your rides,thanks. If so what combos. I've got an 83 Jimmy with a 700r4 (just rebuilt) 33 12.5 tires,stock ride height, just cut the wheel wells. and its rusted pretty good.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got an 83 GMC halfton with the same 6.2/700r4 combo. She's slow but steady, and with fuel prices being what they are, I LOVE the mileage I get with the diesel.

3. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Hey Paul - When something smokes and rattles it should be repaired or replaced ....hehehhehe Never could understand the diesel thing.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hello new guy
    I also have an 83 with a 700r4 but I have stock size tires . I agree<font color=red> low on power but long on range !!</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Jeez, Hennie, it's bad enough that I don't have any friends.........now I'm getting bugged from halfway around the world. And about that diesel thing, remember- "torque beats horsepower....EVERYTIME!!!!"

6. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Paul my old friend you are still dear to me even if your choice in engines makes my eyes water. As for the torque needs - simply add the big block, stir gently, add SM465, simmer for a few miles and see - plenty of all you need and the SMELL - GREAT.
    ........LOL

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

7. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

There should be a way to add 10-20 horses to the 6,2. Havent looked into it yet though. Anyone else heard about this?

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at: </font color=blue>http://espen.coloradok5.com

8. mike race

mike race 1/2 ton status

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My 82 Jimmy used to be a 6.2 and then the previous owner swapped it out for a 350.

I would be nice to still have the 6.2!

Mike [​IMG]
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I would KILL for a diesel... After driving fire trucks, tow trucks & all sorts of Heavy recovery/rescue equipment. Nothing, repeat N O T H I N G will EVER compare to a Diesel in longetivity, strength & durability.

If I had my choice, my 350 would be melted down and made into Diesel heads!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

'90 K5 with the 6.2 diesel, 700r4, NP241, and 4.10 axles with 35" tires. It won't win any drag races, but the combo works great on the trail. It's probably one of the few auto tranny rigs that actually has good compression braking when going down hills. I'm also laughing at all of the gas powered rigs in my club when we go on a trail ride (which involves at least a 150 mile round trip) because I'm using half as much fuel, and paying 50 cents a gallon less.
    For 6.2 performance, check out the 6.2-6.5 diesel webpage which is devoted to GM diesel performance (I forget the exact address). 10-20 horsepower is pretty easy to get by simply installing a good flowing exhaust system and opening up the air intake a little. The additional benefit of these simple mods is that you can then turn up the fuel pump slightly for an additional 10-20 h.p.

12. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds great. I'l start looking into that. My exaust needs some work in the upper pipe-section anyways..
    Also check up on the diesel pages described. Isn't the internett great!?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at: </font color=blue>http://espen.coloradok5.com

13. Big B

Big B 1/2 ton status

hey guy i have a friend that owns a diesel shop and i also in stalls turbos he has a sub with the 6.2 and a turbo and danm that thing has a lot of power the shops called Macs R.V phone number is 817-443-3828 his name is joe he maybe able to answer some of you questions just trying to help later Bruce.