Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel prices...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Just spent $2.52/gal for #2. $72 to fill up...:eek:

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Yup:frown1: Bend over:frown1:

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I hate to say this but I might buy a family car for better mileage

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I keep hearing that 3 bucks will not be unheard of....:(

5. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

I guess gas will reach around $2.50-2.75 a gal in new england. But I will keep on driving my rig. But when gas prices reach 5.00 a gal I think I will buy another vehicle. But I doubt gas will reach that high any time soon (Knock on wood)
    Thanks
    ADam

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It's $2.78 here...

Rene

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

The highest place I saw it aroudn here so far was $2.35.. Haven't got to see what it is today.National Average this week is $2.244

8. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Man, you whiners have it good down there! :p:

We are paying $3.67 US per US Gallon up here, with prices expected to rise over 4 US dollars per US gallon

I could only wish our diesel was 50 cnd cents per litre like it is down there...

9. towdriver80

towdriver80 Registered Member

How does it compare to the price of #2 dyed fuel oil?:ignore:

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

dyed diesel is approx 68 cents a litre here, as compared to your 50. Probally just under 3 bucks a gallon

11. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you ever wonder why Diesel and Propane even cost anywhere near the price of gas. In my limited knowledge of refineries aren't they both byproducts of the whole process

12. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

gas & diesel everywhere is insane, since our sub was stolen we replaced it with an astro van for my girlfriend to drive which should save some gas, but now she has a payment(wheres the logic there) actully she just got a great raise that covers the new payment, insurence is more so its a wash. i still drive my 3/4 ton 70 chevy pickup with a 396 bb in it with th400 and factory rear d60 i did a disc conv. on with 4.56's it gets about 7 mpg.the good news she pays the gas bill every month.:grin:

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sucks here too..

While driving my sister home 65 miles away yesterday,I took note of the fuel prices between my town and hers--gas is 1.95 here(lowest I could find)and diesel was 2.25 a few days ago,probably higher now--up her way its 1.99 for cheap gas,and 2.29 for diesel---I heard the 3 dollar a gallon rumors too-guess I wont be joyriding much this summer..:(
    We just(almost) filled our home heating oil tank this morning-1.92 a gallon!:screwy::yikes:
    (couldn't bribe the guy to fill my 82 diesel up with it:blush: )

Didn't even fill it all the way up either--(250 gallon tank)--and there was some left in the tank already....looks like I better start collecting firewood--even that is outrageuos in price,and scarce after thanksgiving..:frown1:

I am amzed at the number of 18 wheelers on the road--I cant understand how owner/operators make any money with the price of fuel--bet everything delivered by truck will go up real soon..personally,I wish they would use trains more,and get those huge trucks off the highway-

-seems like every day one flips over or gets jacknifed and causes a massive trafic jam,not to mention they make travelling more hazardous--they should have their own separate road in the median strip or something--they dont blend well with cars and pickups,I nearly get killed every time I go to merge onto the highway,a semi is barrelling down the highway,and always right at the end of the ramp every time I go to merge.....:mad:

14. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Been paying above $2.35 a gallon for a few months now over here, it fluctuates, but hasnt been below that in town for a long time. There has always been at least one station charging $2.50, its just greed. They see an opportunity to make money, and they stick it to us.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check your math dude. :)

90 cents per litre, is $3.40 cdn per US gallon. Divide by the current exchange rate ($3.40 / 1.25= $2.72 USD per US gallon)) and you'll see our prices are higher, but not that much higher.

Rene

16. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

2.49 per gal diesel i got a geo tracker for town drivin and very light off road.

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I burned my new woodburner all season. We usually go through 3-4 tanks (275 gal) of oil through the winter... this year, I still have almost 3/8 of a tank left from my fill in the fall!
    There's already a fuel surcharge being charged by nearly everyone... UPS has a nice chart explaining their fuel surcharge per-package, for ground and air services, on their website. (Small side note - they musta hedged on jet fuel really well; UPS is only paying 85 cents or so per gallon...) The limo company I drive for charges an 8% energy surcharge on every trip.
    Trains are only economical for LARGE loads going to big distribution centers. Think about it... if every retail store had a rail siding going to it, there'd be no room to drive anywhere, as the footprint of the roadbed right-of-way and all the crossings would eat up loads of land, and you'd be forever sitting at a crossing, waiting for trains to move. Plus IIRC, there's more freight tonnage being shipped by rail today than ever before.

18. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Returning from a race in Baja Saturday I bought Diesel at 4.910 Pesos a liter. With the exchange rate and converting to gallons, it works out to be $1.73 a gallon. Needless to say, I filled the empty VP Race Fuel drum that I was bringing back home. Hauling the race truck, spares and fuel (around 9000 lbs) I averaged 8.86 MPG with a lot of steep grades in both directions with my new F250 PSD CC 4X4 Lariat FX4.

19. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Yes it sucks bad. I am about to take the first load of our stuff from Denver to Virginia in a couple of weeks, and will be towing our travel trailer East. Can't wait to see that credit card bill after 3000+ miles roundtrip averaging about 12-13 MPG.

20. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Diesel is actually a less refined fuel than gasoline. Propane is by-product of gasonline but does has some additional manufacturing such as adding smelling agents and lubricants (which are still poor in quality).

The diesel here in Austin is $2.12 on the cheap side and $2.39 on the high side. The average price is $2.16. I drive a diesel truck daily and my K5 runs propane so I KNOW how expensive it is. My 34 gallon tank with 2 fill-ups a week is kicking my ass. Plus the government (whom I work for) can't seem to come up with enough money to give me a raise. In 4 years of employment, I have had one 3% raise to match the yearly 6% increase in cost of living. :screwy: Just to survive, I have altered my lifestyle so I can still afford to drive the vehicles I want and live in the house I bought.

The saying, 'the rich get richer and the poor get poorer' is so true if you look at the profits of the major oil companies. Their profits have never been higher than the past 3 years. That could be becase we are buying more fuel than ever but I highly doubt that demand has gone up as much as the profits they are pulling in. :mad: Little me struggles to pay my $600 dollar a month fuel bills and that is if I don't use the K5 and have to fill up the propane tanks. :1zhelp: