Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CenTxk5blazer, Jul 24, 2005.

1. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

I'm working on a 94 k3500 with a 6.5TD, the volt gauge shows it charging around 12-13 volts (guess) if not a little less. I replaced the alternator and both batteries read around 12.5 volts. I also checked all the battery cables, checking continuity and the wires themselves. I replaced the cable that runs to the starter as well as the wire that runs to the junction block. It'll run for a minute or so and then shut off. The instument cluster will display the battery indicator light and after a minute I'll be able to restart it. Can anyone provide any additional help?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  2. Steve Harvey

Steve Harvey Registered Member

Do you have to jump start it, or will it restart on its own? Check the the voltage at the battery when it is running, if it is 13 to about 14,(you cannot reley on the gauge) your problem is somewhere else. If you do not have to jump start it, I beleive the problem is somewhere else also. good luck

3. CenTxk5blazer

It'll restart on its own. I tried to check the voltage to the battery while it was charging and IIRC it was 14 but it died before the reading stablized.

4. CenTxk5blazer

I went back and checked the voltage while the truck was running, it was at 14.3 volts. I turned on all the accessories (lights, a/c, and so on) when the truck died a second later. I restarted it and turned everything back on and got a reading of 13.8 volts. What would cause it die and then seem to run fine after this?

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont think its an acutal alternator/battery issue. the "battery " light happens when the engine has shut down. Thats normal. I think your dealing with another issue alltogether.

Now for the guessing game-
    A. when was the fuel filter changed? It is possible that the filter is so clogged up right now, that there isnt enough fuel. Everytime you shut it down, the vaccum that the pump formed finally sucks enough fuel for it to run for a min or so, and then dies off again.
    B. Does this has a pump cooler? 94 was the first year I think of the electronic injection pump. This is a common failure area. A failed pump will give similiar symptoms.
    C. try also pulling codes off- I think there's an ECU in 94, it might pull some codes telling you if something is wacky.