Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Feb 23, 2007.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

ok so my diesel is having some problems starting when the engine is hot. if i let the truck sit it will start up and run fine. i can turn it off and start it again as many times as i want. but if i take it for a drive and the engine gets up to operating temp. the truck wont start. it seems like the battery power is dropping but the alt is working fine. Once the truck is started the volt guage jumps up and everything is fine.

my fuel pump comes on and there is pressure at my fuel filter. the alt belt is tight. I feel it might be the injector pump but i have never delt with one before. has anyone had this problem or a similuar problem that can point me in the right direction..

thanks
    tony

2. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

Sounds like a typical DB2 pump problem, I answered more fully where you posted in the 6.2 diesel forum.

4. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

try dumping cold water on the injection pump when it wont start, and see if it will fire up. when the pumps get worn real bad they dont seal good hot.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Glow plugs?

Unless I restarted immediately when the truck is warm, I had to wait 30mins to an hour for it tool cool off enough for the GP controller to kick the GPs on again.

I wired a pushbutton instead. Only way to go.

6. general blaze

ya i tried the cold water thing but i am still not convinced. I do have a manual glow plug push button. I dont know where to go with this. should i just replace that injector pump. IT is around 300 bucks. i dont want to replace itif it is not the problem. but i cant figure out what else it can be.

any help would be greatfull.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

What year??..

Some later GM diesels had problems with the "PMD" that controls the computer crapping out when it gets hot..they sell a relocation kit to move it away from the heat to avoid this..depending on what year your truck and engine is,it may or may not have this setup..

I have read about some part inside the injector pump getting corroded and causing hard hot starts,but I've never had one apart,so I'm not much help to you there..someone on the diesel board here might have more detailed info..

:crazy:

8. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

There are no seals or rubber parts in the DB2 pump that can cause trouble with hot starting. The high-pressure components that pump fuel are metal-to-metal contact parts. Other than the possibility of the metering-valve getting stuck - in "off position", is sounds like a worn head & rotor (there are a few other remote possibilities).

When the head and rotor are worn - and it gets hot and therefore all the metal parts are fully expanded, it won't pump fuel unless - you use thicker fuel - or - pour cold water on it. In this type of situation, it often starts fine once it's cooled down. If the head & rotor is the problem, the pump is hardly worth fixing. Many pump shops won't even give core-credit with a bad head & rotor.

9. general blaze

thanks a lot guys. i dont think my truck has any computer in it. it is an 83 i have not seen any computer parts in the engine bay. i think i am just going to buy a new injector pump and see what happens. anyone know where i can get a good deal on one.. autozone is charging around 300 bucks. is that a good choice.

10. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member