Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel PS pump on a small block???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramjet gmc, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I was just thinking if the power steering pump was the same could we swap the pump from a 6.2 diesel and put it on our small blocks v8

My thinking is that the diesels work at low RPMs and the crawling and heavy steering we do is at low rpms – I just was thinking any thoughts on this

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

V8 diesels don't operate in as low of an RPM range as you think. They're pretty much the same thing.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I did a parts search on NAPA and PartsAmerica.com and the power steering pump w/o reservoir comes back with the same part number for an 84 diesel or gas.

When I originally swapped out my 6.2 for a 350 I kept the pump and hydroboost system from the diesel. Now I've switched to serpentine belt setup and I got a different p/s pump in the kit. I can't tell the difference between it and the original 6.2 p/s pump. Just had to change the return line setup.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My hydro-boost pump isn't exactly something to brag about...it's a year old and howls like a Ford by the time I get to work every day.

Operating rpm's on my 6.2 are from 600 rpm to 3600-3800 rpm, which isn't really any lower than a gas engine as far as the power steering is concerned.

I need to add a cooler to my power steering and brakes. That should get me more volume as well and prevent the foaming and howling.

Rene

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I did that on my truck-

unforutnately, I did that because some members had said that the hydroboost PS pumps have more output than the regular pumps without hydroboost.

Maybe my pump is broken, maybe it isnt. But the power output of the pump just is not there. I have virtually no power steering power at idle. Give it a little gas, and its ok.

MAybe if you had crossover steering or something....

6. ramjet gmc

my ram steering is in a box just begging me to put it on so i will need more flow /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ahh.. gotcha. You see the post from like a year ago when I was doing the box? there's some way of drilling out a hole in the PS box to increase pressure and flow. Bascially modifying the check valve in a way.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Difference is in the bracket... and I think you need a puller to pop the pulley off and change the bracket.

9. ramjet gmc

well i was thinking that the pump might have more of pitch in side or larger pump ??? but from what i see it is just the same

darn i thought i was on to some thing /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

thanks for the help

10. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

from the articles I read chevy claims the regular pump puts out 750 psi... the hydro pump 1100 psi.... I do know some years are specd with same pump...other than hydroboost...
    I cant tell a difference in the seat of the pants either... but this is what the literature says...I did a writeup on this about a year ago referring to "JimL's Brake Paper".... where my source of info came from... seemed pretty well written justifying hydro brakes and hence the hydro pump over standard vac brakes... hope you werent depending on me!
    cam