Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Questions from a newbie....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by klurejr, Jan 11, 2006.

1. klurejr

klurejr Registered Member

I realize some of the forums in here are for paying users only, but when i saw this:

I assumed the word "all" meant just that... am I wrong to assume so?

I can't seem to post there.

Thanks for your support and not flaming me. Yes, I am new here, looking at buying a early to mid 80's diesel and just want to ask some questions..

Thanks.

EDIT: Thanks for the replies, I posted more below.....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

its probably not included for non members, just mis worded in the description

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah I believe it is for members only. The Garage, Feeback, and ORD's forum are open for everybody. Post up in here there are a few 6.2 guys that frequent the garage:D

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

May as well go ahead and ask in the Garage. There are a few of us regulars that have 6.2's. You could also read the old threads in the diesel forum, you won't be able to reply, but you may gain a ton of useful info...

Rene

5. klurejr

I did a bunch of reading before posting in here trying to find as much info as I could, seems like alot of it is about adding Turbos and other items.

What I am looking for is this, if any of the diesel guys are looking, What should I know when going to buy a diesel, what years are the best/worst, what are the hardest to find parts for?

My friend has a 85 Diesel, and he loves it, but says parts are harder to find because it was a transition year for the motor. Is that true? what else should I watch for? Being that there are not nearly as many diesels out there, I am going to have a smaller pool to choose from, and I want to make a good buy.

Actually I am hoping to trade out my current P/U for one if I can. I have a 1998 Chevy s-10 2.2L 5 speed manual. Regular Cab, 2WD, Black. 184K, but runs strong. It is currently my 3rd vehicle and I would love to have a solid 4x4 as a project/weekend toy. My buddy just got his 85 running again after his transfer case blew last year, and we are gonna take it out saturday, But I can allready tell the diesel is perfect for low speed everything.

If you know of anyone who is in need of a reliable small truck, and wants to trade their diesel, point them my way. I did not want this to be a "for sale" ad since there is a classified section for that....

Thanks in advance to all the diesel guys out there for reading my post and making a comment.

6. klurejr

*bump*
    :rolleyes:

7. tRustyK5

'85 wasn't a transition year, and the only real 'oddball' is the '82 which had coarse thread injectors. The Glow plug controllers changed in '84 i believe.

Best advice I can give is to start the truck from dead cold and see how it starts. If it spins over pretty easy and starts right away that is a good sign that compression is good and that it has a decent starter. Most all diesels smoke when cold (whitish) but that should clear up in 10-15 seconds

Rene

8. klurejr

good to know, thanks.

What are the differences between the 6.2 and the 6.5? did they come in differnt year trucks? I will try and stay away fromthe 82's then.

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

6.5 did not come out until 94? Never was there one in a K5 from the factory.

Ira

10. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i don't really think it matters for you to stay away from the 82's. many believe those motors to have had the most durable blocks out of all the 6.2's. It just happens that the IP has course threaded injectors. doesn't really matter to you what the thread is unless you're trying to replace it. in which case you need to know it has the course thread - and may make junk yard shopping more difficult, but i'm not sure i'd even want an IP from a junk yard.

as far as differences between a 6.2 and 6.5 - which, like said above never came in a blazer, is that except for one year the 6.5's were turboed from the factory, i believe. also, the 6.5 has all kinds of electrical/computer stuff. the 6.2 was all mechanical. that's the big differences - i think.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Everything thing he said is right except the electrical stuff. The first 1 or 2 years of the 6.5s were mechanical injected. I think in 1996 they switched to electronic injection and had some problems with injectors and pumps. The compression ratio is high for a turbod application at around 21:1. A lot of guys are rebuilding them and lowering the compression to around 17:1 to allow them to run 20-25# of boost.

Ira

12. klurejr

IC, cool.

so basically any K5 Diesel from 79 or 80 to 85 or 86 is going to have the 6.2L and for the most part be the same truck.

Does anyone know a diesel owner who wants to trade for a 98 s-10?:D

Thanks for all the info!

13. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

6.2s are from 82-91:D . They can be found in essentially any GM fullsize truck/suv from those years.

Ira

14. klurejr

Is there a Diesel motor prior to 82?

I am looking at diesel for two reasons;

1> The torqe ratios are incredible
    2> No Smog here in Cali

I am not interested in getting a gas motor 76 or later since that is the smog year..

15. tRustyK5

pre 82 the only diesel available was the Olds based 5.7. Chances of finding one that still runs are remote. They were real piles of crap and ruined GM's rep in regards to diesel anything. The 6.2 is often unfairly tarred with the same brush...

BTW, please stop trying to flog your junk here...

Rene

16. klurejr

cool, good to know.
    huh?

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Rene means the Garage is not to be used to sell/trade your gear. We have a "For Sale" forum, but you need to be a paying member to use it.

18. klurejr

I understand that, but forcing people to pay just to use the classified section is a disservice to everyone, including the paying members.

But, this is not my site, so I will respect your rules.

With my friends diesel he said the stock alt does not put out a whole lot of power, is this an item that most of you diesel owners have upgraded? Can you even run extra lights without upgrading it?

thanks.

19. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

FWIW, keeping the Classified section members-only keeps out the riff-raff and scammers who might otherwise try and rip off honest CK5ers. Where I come from, $25 is DIRT CHEAP for a plan that gives you 12 months for unlimited advertising - if you think otherwise I suggest you go check out advertising rates anywhere else...........:deal:

BTW, it's not wise to come to a new site expecting help and then within a couple of days start hacking on the policies of said site. Of course, that's just MY opinion.:whistle:

20. tRustyK5

The alt's are about 78 amps IIRC. Like any other vehicle if you start adding a ton of heavy draw accessories you will need to upgrade.

The site rules are what they are, and have been massaged and tweaked to where they are now over the last 6+ years. All we ask is that you respect the rules here. If you feel an irrepresible need to complain about them we have a feedback forum for that, and you can post in there if you like.

Rene