Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel radiator -- coolant level sensor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jan 22, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Hard to tell in the dark, but I assume that the coolant level sensor is supposed to thread into a pipe-lookin' thing that sticks out of the radiator ... and said pipe should not turn, right? :doah:

The sensor is all gunked up, it's been leaking ... figgered I'd take it out, wire brush it, and put it back in ... but now the entire assembly, i.e. the sensor and the little stub it's on, are turning. :(

I suppose one could rebraze the thing back onto the radiator... but I suspect it's new radiator time.

Any input?

-- A

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yes. I didn't know they were 2 pieces. Hows the rest of the radiator look? As expensive as they are I'd definately give brazing another look.

3. dremu

Didn't know what were two pieces?

Honestly, I'm a bit scurred of the goo in the radiator, so if I'm gonna pull it out to braze it, I should take it to a shop for cleaning, at which point the hassle and downtime plus the cost is getting me closer to a new radiator. Though, as you say, they are NOT as cheap as the ones for the gassers!

-- A

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My K5 is an ex-diesel rig, and the low coolant light is on all the time. How does that sensor work? I wouldn't mind hooking it back up, and actually using it...

5. dremu

It's the same sensor as used on some windshield wiper systems ... I assume it's just a switch, closes when there' s no water at that level in the radiator. It sits between the oil lines (or are they transmission lines?) on the passenger side.

-- A

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ah, maybe it isn't so much a matter of the wiring and rather that my coolant is actually low, lol

Better check it tommorow...