Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel radiator in a gasser?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grumpy, Nov 25, 2001.

1. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

I want to put a diesel radiator in my 79, I have all the brackets and everything but haven't figured out the top hose configuration yet. Has anyone done this and can you save me hours of R&D?
    Thanks,
    David

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by grumpy on 11/26/01 05:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

2. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

got 1 in my 79. works great! what do you need to know exactly.

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/24975635VazeJOnxiI>SEE MY PHOTOS</a>

3. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Since the radiator is wider the top hose has to be longer. What did you use?
    David

4. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Re: Diesel radiator in a gasser? No one know??

No one has done this but Mudnutt?

5. Sandhills Blazer

Sandhills Blazer Registered Member

I have this in my 83 with a 400 small block. I took the radiator to my local radiator shop and had the upper and lower neck from a gas one installed. Think I paid about $15.00 to have it done. Works great and you don't need to look for adaptors to get it hooked up. I run a 180 themostat and it never gets over 180 during the summer here in SC.

Herman
    '91K5 - 350, 700R4, NP241, Single 3" with FlowMaster, 32X1150s

6. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

the input and output on the diesel radiator are larger in diameter than the gasser. what i did was cut both the diesel and gasser hoses in half then splice the diesel end out of the radiator to the gasser end on the motor w/ a piece of pipe and some hose clamps. might not win any awards at a show but it works.

<font color=blue>DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/24975635VazeJOnxiI>SEE MY PHOTOS</a>

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got a Diesel radiator in my K30 with a TBI 350 and I also have the small hose barbs on the radiator. Only problem with mine was the top inlet was 6" too far over for a stock SBC upper hose. I cut the hose in the straight part (parallel to the radiator, next to the last 90 degree bend into the radiator) and put an 8" piece of tubing in there for a 6" extension. An exhaust shop can stretch the ends (about 1/4") so that clamps will hold better. This way, if I blow a hose "way out there", I can use any common SBC upper hose.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh yeah, Pete (pcorssmit) has done the same thing (diesel converted to SBC with diesel radiator) and used an aftermarket water neck to allow a 72' Firebird 400 upper hose to fit.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Thank you guys for the great info!