Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel radiator into gas truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Mar 30, 2005.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What do I need to do to swap a 4 core radiator from a 91 6.2 diesel into my 90 350 suburban. They are wider I think. WHat hoses, brackets, etc? Thanks.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

They make a 4 core gas one.. I dont know the differences though.

3. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They make 4 core radiator for gas motors :blush: ??????? I know thas, but i can get a hell of a deal on a diesel one.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Make sure you get all the backets for the hold downs and such.... Other than that you should be good. But if you can get the hose, that would help too. Then you could see if they work for your app or if you'll have to spend time playing at the parts store to find a set that will fit.

5. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I can tell you that the inlet and outlets on the diesel radiator are larger in diameter than the gas radiator so be prepared to deal with that.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Come to think of it, I ran into that problem changing hoses on my 82. Originally it was a diesel and the PO put in a 350..... After working with them and some WD40, I finally go them to work together. Can remember if I used the 350 hoes or the 6.2 though. I think I used the 350 stuff.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Diesel rad is wider and taller. It's not centered either... its more to the drivers side. The top brackets are different, and can be difficult to find. Shroud is different too.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

After reading all this, I would just consider getting a 4 core GM radiator for gas motors.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try older fullsize GM cars...

I have installed 4 core radiators from early Caddy's(70's) into GM trucks,its almost a bolt in swap!--also the big Caprice,Impala,and Olds/Buick/Pontiac ,and Chevy van ones can be persueded into a fullsize truck,you have to measure the core first,if your truck has a smaller radiator,you will need the top support for the larger one to get it to fit,and move the rubber cushions to the other spot on the lower support.
    Some radiators have different hose size,but nothing a "bushing" made from a peice of the old hose wont fix..and some have a nipple for the heater hose on the radiator tank,some dont--so you might have to re-plumb that hose to the intake or water pump... :crazy:

10. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

This is a link to a post I made about the hoses I used to make a 6.2 radiator work with a 350. You have to be a little creative. I used the vaccuflex hose on the bottom. There was one with the correct diameters to match the water pump and larger radiator fittings. On top I used a vaccuflex hose plus a regular hose. The longest vaccuflex hose is not enough to reach. So I looked through the book at Carquest and used the pictures to find a top hose that had the angles I wanted and the correct diameter to fit the radiator. Cut that hose in the appropriate place and used a large diameter barbed hose coupling from an farm implement place to join the radiator hose to the vaccuflex hose. If you need pics let me know and I can get some tonight.

As for brackets, I know there are quite a few 6.2s here at the local u-pull-it that could be scavenged for parts. So check your local yard and see what you can find.

Wider is better than thicker. With the thicker radiator, by the time the time the air reaches the last rows it has picked up more latent heat and will not remove as much. Where as with the wider radiator you have more initial surface area for the relatively cool air to remove heat when the temperature differential is the greatest.