Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel-radiator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JHG, Sep 26, 2005.

1. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

I need a new radiator for my 1981 K5. Recently I swapped a 6.2 diesel, TH400 and NP241 in place of 350, TH350 and NP208. I got a diesel radiator with the engine but the element is not in a good shape. It was a 4 row radiator (its possible it had a replacement element).

I have been trying to locate a 4 row radiator for my truck but have only found 3 row radiators. Is there some place I can find a 4 row radiators for my diesel?

I am not sure I need four row radiator. Is there any need to search for that thing?

If not, what is a decent price for a 3 row radiator in US?

Thanks, Jon H.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

does it really get that hot in Iceland? to where you need the extra cooling of the 4 row?

3. JHG

JHG 1/2 ton status

Maybe not, its sometimes gets in the 80s.

I just hate overheating (had a truck once wich was alwais giving me a hard time) and like to have more "cold" water. Perhaps I dont need it with the 6.2.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Surely there is a radiator shop somewhere in Iceland? Most of those shops will remove the end tanks from the core, clean the tanks and install a new core. I would stay with the correct 4 row rad. At idle the 6.2 will run cold, but when it's 'working' it does require all the cooling it can get.

Rene

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I vote rad shop also... I had mine recored locally. It still cost me $400 CDN though... which was better that the $700 and $450 I was quoted for new. :eek1:

Besides the extra row of fins, the 6.2L rad is a 34x19"... most 350 rads are only a 28x17.

BTW Rene... thanks for the core rad with the parts truck. :bow: It was much easier to drive the spare rad to the shop.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Better that you got good use of it. Anything not immediately removed from the old Bat Cave is bound to get busted, maimed or otherwise ruined...:crazy:

Of course, having said that I recently noticed a small leak where the core meets the tank on the rad in my truck. :rolleyes:

Rene