Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel S10?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Mar 31, 2007.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hey all, I was wondering if anyone has done a diesel swap on a s-10 pickup? I believe they had an isuzu diesel engine at one time. Have you heard or seen any done with any type of diesel engine? I ould think a 6.2 would be kinda heavy but not really that bad.

Any thoughts on it?

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, I wouldn`t mind seeing this discussed..

I believed the engines they used were Mazda engines, as I remember my buddys dad talked about how he worked with a guy who had one...

Seems like it would make a good DDer....

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

being that a 6.2 is close to the size of big block, i think it would take alot of work to get it to fit. how about a 4bt cummins in an s10? don't know about the height, but the length and width shouldn't be an issue.

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

They used a little Isuzu n/a mill (if memory serves). One of my ex'es had one, it could hardly get out of its own way, but had almost 400k on the clock and ran fine, and would pull down 25 mpg all day long.

5. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

I would think a slightly modded 6.2 would plenty of power while saving your mileage.
    With talk of gas prices rising to exceed 4 bucks im looking to seriously start making my own bio-diesel.

I was also wondering about putting in the nissan turbo engine from a scout? Or Is it still possible to obtain the a isuzu engine and beef it up a bit.

I remember putting a 305 TPI engine in a 2wd blazer awhile back. There is very lil room up front with the v8. The 4bt sounds cool but im unsure of the measurments.

6. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

wasnt there one that came from the factory with a diesel? i think it was a 88ish.. im not sure though

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Does everyone on this site have me blocked or something? :rolleyes:

Read my post above. Hers was an '84.

Edit: ford also made a diesel ranger in the mid 80's timeframe. I've never seen one, though.

8. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

yes........

lol j/k i was under the impression that it was swapped in or something.. i didnt read it just skimed over

9. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I have thought about this before using an engine out of a vw jetta tdi. They are like a 1.8L I believe, or maybe its a 2.5, not sure, but a friend who has one get 56 mpg average of both city and highway driving. Wouldnt be a powerhouse, but there are mods available for them to get a little more power.
    This is probably the route I would take for a diesel s10.
    4bt's still weigh like 700+ pounds, same with a 6.2, so I would count those two out. Maybe a 3 cylinder cummins. Forget the details of the engine but I have seen them before.

Remington

10. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I had an 82 nissan with a factory sd22 4cyl diesel that got 45mpg. its the same engine as the scout diesels, just two cylinders shorter.

11. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hmm a vw tdi engine? that would be pretty cool. 40+ mpg in a truck, I would love it.

12. Teamstatic2001

Teamstatic2001 Registered Member

Ha this is wierd I thought I was the only one thinkin about this. I'm not sure what it is but I was thinking of goin with a cummins out of one of those jeep libertys. Jegs sells a programmer for it, and I've seen the adapters on ebay for the tranny