Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel sending unit no longer made HELP!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camcatmechanic, Aug 29, 2006.

1. camcatmechanic

camcatmechanic Registered Member

Alright I've got an 82' Diesel Jimmy that had been converted to gas. I bought a new sending unit to fix the gas change problem but the "new" sending unit is wired for a gas sending unit. This is because there is 1 stud on the surface of the unit for a plug in. My wire has 2 holes (for 2 studs) and an area for a prong. I went to the Chevy/GM dealership for the right one, and GM quit making the diesel sending unit. My gas gage is being a PITA, how I can resolve this so I can read my gage?

2. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Do you have the old part number that GM used? If so try a criss cross through a company like Federated Auto Parts. Or Try 1A Auto http://www.1aauto.com/ 888-844-3393 Yes I have delt with them and find the parts just as good as GM. *no sheet metal bought yet*

3. camcatmechanic

Can i use the new gas sending unit?

Can I use the new gas sending unit, i mean it was like $220 dollars. So getting another one just means I threw away that much money. :eek1:

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Not sure I can ask my mechanic or maybe one of the M1009 CUCV guys can help. I would check the wiring diagrams at slosh http://brochures.slosh.com/ and see what is different? I am sorry I can't be much help on that. Hang in there some one here is smart enough to figure it out!

If only they were on right this very moment and reading this.......

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I thought the senders were the same for gas and diesel -- just different for the different size tanks, 24 or 31 gallon, etc.

Two studs? One's the sender voltage... the tab is the ground ... what the heck is the third wire for? The sender sounds right to me... I donno what your wiring is for though.

Maybe post pix of your wiring for us? DYeager?

-- A

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The third would be for the fuel pump if it has one.

7. dremu

Duh. My stuff is so old I forgot about the newfangled trucks.

Do the diesels have an electric pump in the back?

-- A

8. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

It's for the water in fuel sensor. You can probably still get new ones from LMC or Classic Parts of America.

9. dremu

I thought the water-in-fuel thing was up on the firewall, inside the box filter. Leastaways it is on my '85, but it's a CUCV so it could be weird.

-- A

10. camcatmechanic

Okay let me clarify, its got a 350 carb V8 in it with a T350 tranny, so it has a mechanical fuel pump. The gas gauge cable is still diesel fitted for the sending unit, so do i completely replace the instrument panel/circuit board for a gas fitted one? Is there such a thing as an aftermarket gas gauge to the sending unit? I was hoping that I could keep my new one with the 1 stud, to retro fit with a gas gauge. The old sending unit is beyond repair. :confused: The new sending unit has one stud and a wire for ground.:crazy:

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmm..

My 82 K20 with 6.2 has 2 prongs on the sending unit,if I remember right--one is for the gauge,the other is the sensor for the water in fuel lamp--its built into the sending unit..

I used a new sending unit a customer bought,but never used for his truck (sold it!) to test my gas gauge..just jumped the one stud on it to the plug on the diesel one..when I moved the float,the gauge responded normally,so I was sure it was the diesel sending unit or the wiring at fault--I found one wire was cut and corroded,splicing it "fixed" the problem!:laugh:

I think you can use a gas sending unit in the diesel tank,the gauge itself is no different,other than it saying "diesel fuel only" on it!--you'll need to cut the pink wire that goes to the gauge and use a connector for the stud on the gas sending unit,and ignore the "water in fuel" wire(which is a yellow wire on my truck)...and a ground wire of course..--and remember NOT to fill it with diesel ever again!..:p: :crazy:

12. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

they are different sending units, I have a gas one out of my 84 with a 31 gallon tank and won a NOS one for my new blazer and new CUCV blazer tank (22-25 gal).

I'll take a look at the differences and snap a few pics and see what I can come up with for ya.

13. dremu

Well, the 31 gallon and 24 gallon senders are different =)) cuz the tanks are different heights. Also, age can change things -- my 70's tanks have three hoses, IIRC, and the newer ones have four.

I believe, however, that age and tank size being the same, diesel and gas senders are the same.

-- A

14. BowtieBlazer

According to the parts lists I have and specifically years 85-86 for the same size tank the gas and diesel had different part numbers for the senders whether that refers to the number of prongs or not i'm really not sure

15. BowtieBlazer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are my two side by side both have a single sender nipple on the top and a ground wire. The gas one is longer but is from the 31 gallon tank, it also has 4 lines coming in the biggest is meant for the gas overfill return--the small line that runs up the filler neck.

The diesel on is only 3 tubes, uses a different pickup filter that is open on the far end and has a secondary line that is wide open and touches the bottom of the tank, I assume that the return line.

Like someone else here said my last CUCV and my friends 82 civilian diesel had the water in fuel light pickups at the firewall