Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Smoke

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudman83, Jan 16, 2005.

1. mudman83

mudman83 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am not a sponsoring member yet so cant post on the diesel forum, sorry. My truck smokes the whole street up with white smoke every time i start it and continues to smoke but not as much after it warms up. The glowplugs dont work so i have them disconected and i start it with starting fluid untill i find the problem. I heard that this could be caused by coolant leaking from the heads but there is none in the oil. Does it smoke so bad because it is not burning all the fuel at start up or is it something else.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Could be the injection pump needs rebuilding. Shortly after I swapped my 6.2 in it would smoke badly for the first 5 minutes...then clear up. Eventually it smoked worse and worse, to the point of total embarassment. I'm surprised the nieghbors never called the fire department.

I got my IP rebuilt as well as the injectors and when all my glow plugs worked :surepal: it'd flash up easily with no more than 3 or 4 seconds of really light smoke (unburnt fuel)

I'd check for coolant loss first, if that checks out I'd throw some working glow plugs in and see how it is then. It may just be a tired pump and injectors.

Rene

3. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What color smoke?
    Does the smoke smell like fuel?
    How many miles on it?
    I notice that smaller deisel engines will smoke like crazy upon startup in colder weather.
    Some so bad that I fill the airtanks before starting so I can just release the brakes and get it out of the shop as fast as possible.
    Generaly they have lots of miles on them and are in need of being completely gone through.

If the smoke smells real fuely then it could be a bad pump or injector.
    Or the rings are worn out, desiel engines are dependant on compression to fire.
    Weak rings will lower the compression and the fuel will not have a complete burn.

About the only thing ya can do at home to diagnose it is check compression, check for a cracked head/blown headgasget and check for a bad nozzle if it has a miss.
    The pump will have to go to a pump shop to be tested and rebuilt if needed.
    The nozzles are pretty straight foward, generaly they either become clogged which is a no fuel condition or the tip breaks off and it is just dumping fuel down the hole. Which will have a misfire in that cylinder and fuel knock to go along with it.
    But that doesn't seem to be your situation.
    If the compression is good, I would take the pump in to be looked at. If it needs rebuilt then ya may as well pop the nozzles out and get a fresh set while yer at it.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm a smoker too....

My 82 K20 with a 6.2 smokes pretty good upon a cold start--it fills my shop up with smoke fast,I try to drive it out as soon as it starts,so I wont be breathing diesel soot and fumes all day long--it gets annoying,but thats the price of having a diesel I guess--I'd leave it outside,but it starts better when stored indoors,and brushing off a foot of snow to jump start it sucks after a storm..

Your truck probably would improve a lot if you put new glowplugs in it,and add some Howes diesel fuel treatment to the fuel--not having glowplugs working in the cold weather is the main reason for the smoke,the fuel piles up un the cylinder unburned,and when it finally does fire up,the excess burns off in a big white cloud--and if you have been using starting fluid,you might have already damaged a piston or rings--its liquid death for a 6.2--I use it only in dire emergencies....

My friend's ramp truck just blew a piston skirt a few weeks ago (another 6.2) and he had to put a school bus motor with 90,000 miles on it in his truck to keep it going--he learned the guy who borrowed it last hard time starting it,and used ether on it,without disabling the glow plugs--he got it started,and drove it 15 miles,clattering like hell--we thought the crank broke at first,till the got the oil pan off after pulling the motor...and found a piston skirt in the bottom of the pan..

It could be like tRusty said,the injector pump or injectors could be dumping too much fuel in,or poor compression(but I doubt poor compression,because you can start it without glow plugs) and other things like old fuel and air leaks in the fuel lines can cause bubbles and smoking--I'd try the glowplugs and fuel treatment first--but remember,even a PERFECT running diesel will belch SOME white smoke after a cold start,sometimes for several minites,till it warms up...:crazy:

5. mudman83

OK thanks for the help I will check get the injection pump checked and I already have new glowplugs on the way.

6. mudman83

It is white smoke and it has 170,000 miles on it but sat for a few years next to my house