Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Starting Troubles

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by XBeastX, Sep 25, 2003.

1. XBeastX

XBeastX Registered Member

My girlfriend is having issues with her '90 Volkswagen Jetta diesel. It starts really hard in the mornings. It will turn over just fine. After a few tries to start it, it will start sputtering. After a few more tries it eventually starts. It starts fine the rest of the day, but only does this after it sits a while. Any ideas?

Second question. Do any of you know of any trustworthy deisel or volkswagen mechanics in the Portland area?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Try a small squirt of starting fluid when you have this problem. Sounds like glow plugs are not working properly (glow plugs or controller).

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

IMO I would keep starting fluid as far away from a diesel as humanly possible, but again thats just me.
    How many miles are on it? And have the injection services been done? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. XBeastX

XBeastX Registered Member

There's around 240,000 miles on it. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'm not sure the last time the injectors were serviced, but I'll ask her. The funny thing is it just started happening out of the blue. It was starting just fine day before yesterday.

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Have you checked for air in the system

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Real quick thing you can do is check the fusible link for the glow plugs, my 82 Rabbit has one and I assume the newer VWs still have them. Mine is located on the firewall and was blown when I bought the car, replaced it and it started great from then on. Does it have a block heater? If so, plug it in for the night and see if it starts better the next day. If so, most likely glow plugs.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Check the water fuel separator if the fuse is OK. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif