Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Sub.... what to look for??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by hidesertwheelin, May 4, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nov 13, 2004
    I'm going to go look at a 83 Suburban with a 6.2 diesel. It's supposed to have around 120k miles on it. What should I look for? Any problems I can check on easly? What kind of milage should this truck get? Thanks for any and all help as I know crap about diesels.
  2. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

Mar 7, 2005
    Check fluids for color and smell...make sure it is stone cold the first time you hear it start. Whe key is turned on, glow plug controller should come on for 10 seconds or so, go off, then crank the engine for less than 5 seconds...The engine should start and idle. This means the glow plugs and controller are working OK. Get in and drive imediately, and watch for excessive smoke at the shift points. In a vehicle this age the automatic trans is way overdue so it has probably been rebuilt once already...make sure it shifs OK, reverse etc...After it warm up it should idle so well it feels like humming when you touch steering wheel...good luck.