Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel suburban conversion thread

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Diesel Dan, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Figured I'd start a new thread for this.
    Kinda a Q&A/brainstorming area.
    I know Mark(azBlazer) is going to do a 6.5TD/4L80E and I'm planning a 5.9CTD/4L80E.

Mark, seen on another thread you say your gonna run 3.73 and 35s. I was planning on 4.10s/35s. My train of thought was that 1700rpm at 65mph may be alittle rough on the trans. We'll have some pretty good wind resistance cruising down the highway!

Are you gonna intercool?

Oh, yeah one more thing. When these are done..
    ....Wanna race? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dan,
    That's a good point. I have thought about it. The lowest I have run my 4L80E on the K5 is 4.10s and 35's. The trany does great with that combo. I know that the factory puts 3.73 on the 6.5TD/4L80E but of course the tires are about 32's. I am not locked into that combo, I'm fortunate to have axles available with 3.73, 4.10 and 4.56 in them. The more I think about this the more I think I'll run the 3.73 10/12s that are on the truck and put a trany temperature guage on it. And then decide which set of 1 tons I want to put on. I still think 3.73s will work for me given that the 6.5TD has so much torque in that RPM range and the fact that I mostly go faster than that anyway.

I not thinking about intercooling. At least not until I get the rig together the way I want. Then after the right frame/axles are in and all the little bugs are out, I would like to do the cooling mods: dual thermostats, high capacity water pump, wastegate mod, etc.

Do have any plans to bump up the cummins?

Did you see that 6.2 ATS complete turbo setup that just closed on ebay for 610?

Race - Im too old to race, he,he (not)- I was riding my son's new Yamaha FZ-1 with my wife on the back last night. A new Camaro was foolish enough to think he could take us from a stoplight (maybe because we were two up). That was fun.

3. Diesel Dan

[ QUOTE ]
    Dan,
    given that the 6.5TD has so much torque in that RPM range

[/ QUOTE ]/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, Oh man, my eyes are watering after that one!

[ QUOTE ]

Do have any plans to bump up the cummins?

Did you see that 6.2 ATS complete turbo setup that just closed on ebay for 610?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, missed the ATS auction.
    Plan on using 240HP marine injectors, intercooler and minor pump ajustments(VE rotoray). Wanted to go with P7100 pump in the 400hp range, but decided to go with what I have and be more concerned about good MPG and a driver. Too much bombing and I'll have to worry about trans and torque converter upgrades. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Race - Im too old to race, he,he (not)- I was riding my son's new Yamaha FZ-1

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's one of those 4 stroke snowmobiles, right?!? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh man, my eyes are watering after that one!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it - you hurt my feelings./forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    4 stroke snowmobiles

[/ QUOTE ]

twice! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Diesel Dan

[ QUOTE ]

That's it - you hurt my feelings./forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I figure you work with so much hazardous materials that by now you have to have a thick skin /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Hey, did I mention I have the adapters now for a cummins to GM auto?