Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Swap worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Jan 28, 2004.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I have been planning on making the old 1980 Blazer in my sig to be used strictly to wheel with. My father’s friend has an older Cat diesel motor in his tow rig he will sell me for cheap. I was planning on putting a 383 in my truck originally but it is very tempting to switch to a diesel. I have never had or delt with a diesel before so I am lost with a swap like this. Would it be ok to wheel with? Also, would it be difficult to do a diesel swap?

I tried to get the GM 2.5 ton axles from him be he would not budge. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Better check on the size, if its bigger than a 3208 or 3204 it will probably be way to much hassle.

3. thefarside

Are those casting numbers on the block?

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

No, those are model number. If you look around the block, there should be a little aluminum tag held on by 2 rivits, it will have the model,serial numbers, and arrangement number on it. What configuration is the engine?? a I4,I6, or V8? That will help on identifying it to an extent. Also what kind of truck is it in?

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Diesel bug bit me too.

What about a 3126 Cat??? too large?

I decided to keep it in the GM family for ease of conversion, plus, many MIL surplus parts and marine parts available (6.5s in Humvees; Peninsular Diesel sells new-surplus 6.5 components)

I found that GM dealers toss 6.5s in the dumpster for small problems. They provide customers new Goodwrench engine to keep 'em happy. If you can get on good terms with svc mgr, you might pick one up. They are not supposed to release this stuff however.

6. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

I think a 3116 or 3126 would be doable in a 1 ton with some lift for pan clearance. If you get one with mechanical injection it shouldnt be too bad.Run a clark 5 speed behind it and youd be in not bad shape.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I swapped a 6.2 into my Jimmy last year and haven't regretted it for a second. I was sick to death of the carb off road, and paying through the nose at the pumps wasn't too fun either. The diesel will run upside down (if it could maintain oil pressure that is...) and gets almost twice the fuel mileage.

Off road it kicks butt, the low end grunt at idle makes driving 'elegantly' much more probable than ever.

If my wheeling was mostly mud I'd probably keep a gas engine though, the diesels don't usually spin at very high rpm. The 6.2 does redline at a relatively high 3600 rpm though.

Obviously my opinion is biased...but I'd run a 6.2 or 6.5 and call it good...hell they bolt right up. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Rene

8. thefarside

[ QUOTE ]
    No, those are model number. If you look around the block, there should be a little aluminum tag held on by 2 rivits, it will have the model,serial numbers, and arrangement number on it. What configuration is the engine?? a I4,I6, or V8? That will help on identifying it to an extent. Also what kind of truck is it in?

[/ QUOTE ]

A large tow truck. I will take a look at it when I get the chance this weekend.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would try it if it's a 3208 or 3204 like ben427 said... What year is this tow truck? I think that a 3126 is a later motor but don't qoute me on that one. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I was reading on the Diesel Doctor site the other day and the guys were talking about what a PITA the CATs were to work on. They said that they require a lot of special tools and $$ parts.

I have been looking at a bunch of different engines for diesel swaps like the Iveco, the Deutz, etc..., but I always end up coming back the the Cummins 5.9L. IMO they have the best power to weight ratio and the 94-98.5 are some of the easiest engines to get power out of. The others are real heavy. The CATs are over 1100 lbs easy! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That's just me though. It would definitely be different. I have never seen a CAT powered Blazer before. So, go for it if you are up to the challenge. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeha the 3204 and 3208 have been out of production for a few years while there are still variations of the 3126 in production today. The on highway engine is now called the C7 ACERT, and there is still a marine 3126B im pretty sure. There is a fellow who regulars theis site wh works at cat who would know for sure, im surprised he hasnt chimed in yet. blueblazer or something like that.

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Rene, did you ever do a writeup on the swap? Id be interested in reading the problems you ran into. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    BTW, is it really as stinky and noisy as Id suspect it to be on a trail?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Mike

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Diesel Swap worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

NO