Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Phyte, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

How hard is the swap from a 305, and how easy can you find a GM diesel engine to go into my 85? Did they ever make a turbo that would bold on?

Phyte

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ALRIGHT!! DIESEL!! how hard is it to find one...well..kinda hard..they are all still going. Yes...there is a turbo that came on them. And if there isn't Banks made a great turbo for them. Heres what you need

http://www.thedieselpage.com

You have to pay a membership to get to the member areas...but if you would like some info just tell me and I will get it to you...cuz if we can get more Diesels!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I went from 6.2 to 5.7, and never looked back. you will need to replace everything from the radiator, which includes the whole support. To the governer in the 700, I'll be happy to go through all of what I know to assist you. But my advice, spend the 5000 its gonna cost for a slow ass 6.2 and put a healthy 383 in it and save 2000. I figure 2000-2500 for the motor,(a good motor, not one from a junkie for 1000). Another 1000 for the right alt, starter, hoses and all the other parts I'm not listing, it adds up, it really starts adding up.... then 500 for mufflers and exhaust, a complete exhaust. 500 for the radiator and support (or more, the radiator makes a big block rad look like a tranny cooler). 500 for the complete glow plug set-up, with the wires, selenoid and the firewall fuel filter and and and and.....forget the diesel, I never pulled anything with mine that a 350 couldn't handle. They stink, there loud, they leak oil like mad..some would say those are good points. Diesel by me now is 2.10 a gallon.....hell for that money get a rat motor and a bullet proof trans....js

4. Phyte

Phyte 1/2 ton status

I found an 82 chevy pickup for $1500 that has a healthy 6.2 in it. Couldn't I get all the parts I need out of it? I would just put my weak ass 305 back in the truck and resale it. I think I could rebuild the 6.2 right.. the reason that I might be doing this is because it has a bit of coolness associated with it, and its my daily. Wouldn't I get better gas milleage with diesel and a turbo?

Phyte