Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Tach

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, May 6, 2004.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I saw that autometer makes a 5" in dash tach now and i was wondering if anybody knows if us diesel guys could use it somehow?

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Autometer has offered the in-dash tachs for a long time. But I don't think they will work with a diesel engine.
    ATM-2888(summit part#) is a diesel tach. It has a small inductive probe that straps on the alternator to pick up the signal. I don't know if it's indash or what though.....

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Do a search on this topic.
    I gave part #s for a 3 5/8" Stewart Warner diesel tach that is carried by CarQuest. The pickup used a mag sensor off the flywheel teeth. Way more accurate than the alternator style.

7. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

In tearing down several 6.5s (discarded ones from dealer dumpsters) I found that some were equipped with timing teeth on the front of the crank (4 teeth). These used the short hub style harmonic balancer.

If you are inclined to make your own tach circuit, check out the ATS610LSA sensor (hall effect). I'd like to use this sensor, and appropriate circuitry to make the OEM gas tach work in my '87 with the 6.5

I think there were 2 different ESS methods used. One had a module mounted on the vacuum pump (California emissions) and another used a hall effect sensor on front of crank. Maybe others, not sure.