Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel tachometer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blaz, Oct 20, 2004.

1. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

can somebody tell me how to hook up a tach. on a 6.2 and possibly where it's suposed to read line or if it has a red line. revlimiter seams to work well but i'd rather not blow it through the hood just yet. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

they have special tachs that read off a band off the alt or off the injection lines you can't use a regular tach

3. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

I was told it hooked into the injecter pump, lines something like that is this difficult to do.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

most feed off the alt.

scroll down to the diesel forum and see if there was a post there, I know there was.

5. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

what about redline I'm used to big disels holding on revlimiter is fine. just not sure on 6.2 n/a. hell I did'nt even know it had a revlimiter for the first 4 or 5 years i had it.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what about redline

[/ QUOTE ]
    3600 RPM.
    Factory ran off either alternator or tach sender that ran off the cam like a distributor. Aftermarket has units that use glued on magnets on harmonic balancer or mag pickups that read the theeth off the flywheel.
    This was covered more under the diesel forumn.

7. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

is redline where the limiter hits or does it hit past red.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It'll run all day long at the governed limit without exploding...you're not gonna hurt it unless there isn't any oil in it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

9. k5blaz

k5blaz Registered Member

thanks alot everybody thats what I needed to know. Idid'nt think it would hurt it just wanted to be sure. thats basicaly how I drive my dump truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif stand on it!!!!

10. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

hey TRusty how do I know if mine has its governed revlimiter still?? I was driving once going up a hill, floored it at like 65 then it downshifted into 2nd, so I was kinda scared...it revved pretty high but it felt almost like it fell of the powerband and wasnt making anymore power....so maybe that was the limiter /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My diesel feels like it runs out of fuel when it hits the govenor's limit in the injection pump(probably exactly what it does,shuts off the fuel!)or like you shut the key off,until the motor slows down enough,then it turns back on again--my TH400 makes my truck do this quite often--the electric downshift detent switch tells the tranny to go back into first gear at too high a speed if your not careful--it zooms up to 35-40 in first,then boohhhhgggggss out when the govenor kicks in,then goes into second with a lurch of power--it gets annoying somtimes--feels like it needs another gear inbetween second and first!.I have the vacuum modulater hooked direct to the vacuum pump too,that might be a factor too-- /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif