Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel Title Swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Swifty, May 18, 2003.

1. Swifty

Swifty Registered Member

I have a 79 Blazer that has a 350 in it. I have found a diesel title to buy. What do you need to do to swap the titles in California?

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

That is a good question, I plan to do the same thing, let me know if you find another title and figure out how to do it.

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

replace the VIN's on the one you wish to make a "diesel" and swap the plates over. pay registration, your done.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Note it ain't legal, of course, but the DMV and the ARB are my enemies too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Only thing I'd worry about is that your '79 doesn't look like '82 to the trained eye (i.e. someone who knows Blazers) so should it ever be inspected, you might have some fun. Can't think why they'd care though.

-- A

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah a mechanic worth a grain of salt will notice it all depends if he cares.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

But if it is smog-exempt why would a mechanic be looking at it in the first place?

Can you do most of your own repirs?

I guess if you need repairs drive it up to the shop, remove the license plates, and say it is off-road only....?

7. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

I've heard the rivets are a special(not available) kind. Everyone says to cut them from the back/bottom & reuse them by putting them in place & "glueing"(epoxy/super glue/???) them from the back side.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

THey still have to go through the whole nine yards of writing up an exempt thing whihc requires examining your title. As well yes the rivets are terrible and i have no idea how to do that. I technically did this once. I had an s10 blazer that didn't have a title and one that did but didn't run. Switch the vin plates, couldn't rerivet so we just used a black glue that you couldn't tell was there. It would have passed most inspections I believe.

9. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

doctor 4x4 told me how to do it once, you might want to contact him.

BTW i have a title avalible for an 84' burban im willing to sell