Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel to gas conversion- Wiring harness questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Aug 15, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

picked up an 83 K5 diesel with no motor and i am going to drop a sbc in it. i read a few threads on here and it seems i can use the diesel harness or use one from a gasser. i'd like to do the later cause i have a harness so here is my Q:

can i unbolt the gasser harness from the fues block on the engine bay side and bolt it to the one in the diesel? or do i have to swap the fues box and everything? sounds to easy do be true but i looks like it would work.

thanks,

jason

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I havent done a swap,but looking at my 74 GMC and the 82 diesel K20,the harness looks the same except for the additiomal wires for the glow plugs and injector pump wiring,looks to me like the fuse box is the same--I think tRustyK5 did a swap like you are asking about on his rig,but he went to diesel from gas--he could probably give you better info whether or not the fuse block is the same setup. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. 73k10sub

73k10sub 1/2 ton status

The military or the liquidators butchered the wiring in my M1008 so I went with a harness from EZ Wiring.
    I found out later by talking to Steve Frisbie at Missouri Offroad you should be able to plug the gas harness in at the firewall for the underhood stuff. You might contact him (Missouri Offroad is one of the adverstisers on this site) because I believe he has first hand knowledge on this.

Ronnie /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I just did the swap. All you need for the engine is an ignition hot wire. I think it is pink in color. Wire it into the distributor and you're good to go. Just tie up all of the other wires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif