Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel to Gas Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78Blazer, Sep 7, 2000.

1. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

WEll I bought a m1009 today with no motor, trans , or transfercase I plan to put my 400 in it. SO my question is to all who have done this before what all will I have to change to make this work right?

Scott
    78blazer

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Mine was changed over when I bought it from the guy....I don't know too much about that but I would think if you have nothing right now then you should be able to put your components in with no problems.....any ideas guys ?

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I just switch to an LT1 in my 83 in July which had the stock 6.2c motor. About a month before that I had the 700R4 rebuilt. First thing was whether or not the converter for the diesel would work with the gas, it will work after consulting the trans shop and keeping my fingers crossed. Also, Blow out the gas tank real good, from the return line into the fuel tank. With a 3/8 hose over the petcock thats on the frame rail use that for the emptying of the fuel. Then take the steel fuel line that runs up from the frame to the primary filter and lay it down along the frame to the mechanical thats on the block, you will need extra hose to bend it and make it reach. Also, I used the same radiator but to make the hoses work I put exhaust reducers from the big radiator hoses to the small, smallblock radiator hoses. Also, you must have hydroboost brakes, take the power steering pump itself out of the old diesel bracket and get a small block bracket. It is pressed in. This was the biggest pain in the aXX because of lining it up on the 350, pressing the pump out of the old bracketout, getting it to all to fit. Also I used a gas alternator because I believed the diesel was different because of the RPM speeds of the motors. Also I bought flow tech headers at pep boys for 89 bucks. BUT I had to cut off the stop for the leaf spring on the passenger side of the truck because the tube from number 8 hit it. you might want to try different headers. the motor mounts are the same but I replaced them because the diesel beat up the old ones over time. I had to bang in the fire wall to get the distributor to fit. the fan and shroud lined up perfectly, you will love the cooling capacity of that huge diesel radiator with the small block. VERY IMPORTANT-use two clamps on each side of the reducers for the radiator hoses or when you least expect it BOOM, the hose will slip off, I learned this the hard way. I lost A lot of the fluid but because the system is so big I just clamped it back on and made it back home about 15 miles away.(it was the upper radiator hose) ALso flare up the ends on the reducers to give the clamps more grip. If you have any questions feel free to ask. my k5 runs real sweet with the 350. ..JS

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

THe only real thing to watch is the fuel system, make sure there is no diesel in the tank and the lines.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well I dont have any of the disel parts radiator powersteering etc etc.. But I have complete motor trans etc.. out of my 78 so thats what will all be going in it.

Scott
    78blazer

6. JimmyDie6.2

you will need to get the hydroboost set up for the brakes,or switch the whole master cylinder over with the booster. GM midsize cars came with it but im not sure if that particular set up will work or not. Mini GM school buses have the hydroboost also for saftey reasons. that is a perfect fit. Also those school bus motors have steel cranks and 4 bolt blocks.

7. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I would put another diesel in it and enjoy all that the diesel has to offer. Just keep up on the regular mantanance and keep GOOD fuel in her and you souldn't have any problems. The biggest reason these guys complain about diesels, is they know nothing about them. I have a turbo 6.5 marine engine in mine, and the only thing that I have to be carefull of is twisting off driveshafts from the torque. GOPHERKILLER

8. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well there is no master cylinder or booster on it, So I should be ok using the one from my 78??? or not???

Scott
    78blazer

9. JimmyDie6.2

I don't know if the 78 brake set up would work, If I had to guess I would say yes. But, I would suggest calling a auto salvage yard in your area and ask. They have hollanders with all the interchange info. As for people not liking diesels because "they don't know anything about them". I know this much for sure, mine always smelled pretty horribly, It was the slowest vehicle I've ever owned,(and I've owned some pigs), it was as loud as hell(from the engine compartment), and it leaked oil real heavy. On the up side the 6.2 got double the mileage of the 350. I say to each his own. I'd sacrifice gas mileage for A LOT more pep, and quiet, and no stink. (Gas is a tax write off anyway).

10. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Did you cut the top radiator hose? I need to replace my "connector" between the hose on the the engine to the hose on top of the radiator and the exhaust reducer is the best option I have heard yet. Do you know what size reducer you used? I have looked at a couple of parts stores and I have not found one that goes small enough to adapt to the hose on top of the engine/thermostat.

11. JimmyDie6.2

actually I did cut the hose, and use plenty of clamps.....js

12. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Fire wall....is the sheet metal actually different, or was your distributor clearance problem due to the thicker diesel insulation panel??

SteveB

13. JimmyDie6.2

good question about the fire wall. The answer I believe is the thick diesel insulation that I actually cut into. By the way, you don't need to cut much. Also If Ididn't mention it, you need to change the governer in the trans to a gas one, get rid of the diesel governer. And the TV cable for the diesel is a lot shorter than the gas TV cable, I bought new at chevy for 20 bucks or so. Make sure that the cable is adjusted properly or you'll burn up the 700...........js