Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diesel to gas in CA.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ReIN4st, Jan 2, 2001.

1. ReIN4st

ReIN4st Registered Member

I recently posted an 81/82 Diesel Blazer for sale here. I was wondering if anyone knows about getting away with a gas engine in an "originally equipped with a diesel vehicle". Can you still get away with this ?? I knew a guy once who had a diesel VW Rabbit, and drop a race gas engine in it...never had to smog it!! Someone else said to me that CA is wise to this and they check people with diesels ?? Is that true ?? Does anyone know ?? Thanks to all !!!!! John

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I sem to remember someone saying that this was a bad move on anything later than a '73 in CA. You could always give the DMV a call and see what they have to say.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Can't speak for CA, I know how "strict" they are on the emissions own there. Here in WA, with less strict laws, here is how it is. Now Diesels have to be smogged. Used to be they didn't, they got wise pretty quickly that people would convert to gas to not have to test. To do a conversion to gas, we have to have ALL the proper emissions equipment on the vehicle, and can only put a motor of the same vintage (so you are stuck with the correct 305 or 350 or 454CID then of course on the later Chev trucks)in it. On top of that, you have to replace any indication the vehicle WAS diesel, including fuel gauge and fuel door sticker. On diesels, I bet that means sending unit and adding the evap emissions system/lines too. After that, you have to have the the vehicle re-registered as a gas conversion. To me, it wasn't worth it, so I scrapped the car (truck would be the same deal here) instead : (

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

4. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

That sucks, does anyone know if Utah is the same way?

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Here is some info on California engine swaps:

The engine beeing swapped in must: (1) be the same year or newer as the vehicle it's going into; (2) come out of a california vehicle; (3) come out of a vehicle of the same or lower weight class as the vehicle it's going into; (4) retain all the smog equipment from the original vehicle; and (5) have originally been installed with the same type of transmission as will be used in the swap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

6. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

you could always run tijuana plates : ).

EODBRIAN

7. ReIN4st

Thanks for all the replys. So they smog diesels in WA?? I must find out if they do here...I knew about engine converting, as far as gas engines are concerned. I have a Samurai with a 4.3 Liter injected Chevy. Anyway thanks for alll the help guys!!......John

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by rein4st on 01/03/01 05:19 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. I'ld just buy a banks turbo kit for it and live with what you have,just my $.02 though.

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with bigbad82k5, you need to keep that Diesel instead of trying to go around it. That Diesel engine wit hthe Banks on it will make a Blazer fly down the road. They aren't made for lots of abuse. No roasting tires, no "hot dog'n", SANE driving.....if you drive like you have something upstairs the thing will last longer than the body will. I got 63,000 on mine now...its not even broke in. It runs poorly, needs some tune up stuff...and I still make the rice rockets look BAD!!! If I want I can smoke em...and thats running BAD!! If you have to get rid of it sell it to a person who wants to tow with it...don't tell them that...if you sell it to some kid....I would hate to see a 6.2 get blown up by a kid cuz they think they can "play" in it.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I swapped out my 6.2 for a TBI 350 about 4 years ago. I'm quite happy with the swap. The diesel had around 170,000 on it any was using more oil than diesel. No power.

In Colorado, you have to use the same year or newer motor, and must run all smog equiptment from the donor vehicle, including a catalytic (which, as I understand, is not required in CA). However, the TBI motors (at least the 49 state ones) have very little smog equiptment. I have to run a cat, evaportative canister, fuel neck restrictor, and a check engine light. No A.I.R. injection. You cannot use a heavy duty emissions motor in a light duty emissions chassis. I had to get the truck recertified by the state, it was relatively painless and free. My recomendation would be to call the state referee and discuss your project with them. As long as you are willing to do the swap right and not trying to get away with anything, they are generally helpful.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. ReIN4st

Thanks for the reply. Your probably right. How much does that kit cost, though. Too bad it wasn't a Ford. The Power Stroke is an AWESOME engine. My father-n-law has one in his Excursion with a chip,filter, and 5" exhaust system. That thing hauls a$$. It's not a light vehicle either. Anyway I might just look into modifing it...still would like a big-block gas though.

12. ReIN4st

In Ca, we are required to run Cats. I am going to speak with the referee here before I decide to modify, or swap. Thanks to everyone for the Information....John

13. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

How do you find out who your state referee is?