Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel to gas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by charliefoxtrot, Oct 21, 2004.

1. charliefoxtrot

charliefoxtrot Newbie

I'm about to buy 2 Suburbans. One is an 86 with a bad 6.2. The other is an 83 that used to have a 6.2 and now has a 455 Olds. It's a parts truck. I want to rebuild the 6.2 but I doubt I can afford it right now. I'll probably pull the 455 out of the parts truck and put it in the good one.

Anyway, I don't want to do anything that I can't reverse later. Once I tear into the parts truck I'll be able to figure this out myself, but will I be able to disconnect things like the glow plug electronics and just run a distributor wire? Or do I have to do major wiring? What about the fuel lines and pumps? Can I just pull the diesel lift pump and bypass it? Install a gasoline sender? Will I have to cut the fuel lines to accomodate a carb?

thanks!
    kevin

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can unplug the entire engine bay wiring harness at the fuse block on the firewall and plug the gasser version in. Then you just route the wires where they go which is pretty easy. Set the diesel harness aside for 'later'.

You could flush the diesel tank and use the existing lines, I did the opposite when swapping the 6.2 into my truck. The lift pump from the 6.2 and the fuel pump on Chev small blocks is in the same spot...I'm guessing the 455 has the fuel pump there too.

You'll have to swap the trannies as well as the bell pattern between the 455 and the 6.2 is different. The 455 is the BOP pattern.

You could likely make the diesel 4 core work with the 455.

Personally I'd sell the 455 and with the proceeds buy a used 'runner' 6.2 and drop that in. With the fuel savings you could rebuild the other 6.2 over time.

rene

3. charliefoxtrot

charliefoxtrot Newbie

Excellent, thanks!

I found a good price on a used crank and rods, so maybe I can redo the 6.2 right away!

4. bandit1

bandit1 Registered Member

if you dont know what to do with that diesel i can take it off your hands /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i really want to rebuild it and put it in mine /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif