Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diesel to gas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, Oct 9, 2006.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

since I have a recently rebuilt carburated 454 and a 85 6.2 burb with a thrown rod, I wondered what all would have to be done to go from diesel to gas?

1: can i keep the same gas tank and just rinse it with diesel? or will a new tank and fuel lines be in order?

2: what about electrics?

3:what about the brake system? can I jsut use my regular PS pump from the gasser or will I have to switch out pumps for the hydraboost?

4: anything else I havent thought of?

I'll also be pulling the 700r4 and putting in a th350, so I dont have to worry about the torque converter.

thanks in advance,
    Parker

2. 1-bad-burb

anybody? I nkow somebody here has to have some experience here, I loved the 6.2 and I would prefer to keep it a 6.2 burb, but I've already got a 454 and all the junkyard 6.2s around here are thrashed:mad:

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

tank would be fine, you can flush the tank and lines with air and fuel, read up on that in the diesel section, plenty converting the other way. you will have the water in fuel sensor in there but that is no problem.

that PS pump should be able to handel it the lines are different but you have the hydro ones so you can figgure it out, if your worryed you can mod the pump for more flow, use the search to look for stuff on hydroassest steering lots of easy free way to mod the pump for higher flow.

electrics?
    theres not a whole hell of a lot on a diesel so you might be lacking here for you 454, or did you grap the harness with the moter?

and do you have the addaptor for the th350 to your tcase?

4. 1-bad-burb

well the 454 is sitting in a running truck right now, I'm not worried about the tranny and xfer case, if I need to I can take the one out of the donor truck, no worries there, what exacly do you have to have when it comes to electrics to run a carburated big block? thats my biggest problem is just the electronics.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

the electronincs differ with the years, is it new? then you got a lot more stuff, from computer, to electric choke.

if its old its just the basic stuff, coil, and oil psi/temp./ect. grab the harness for the moter out of the doner, all the work done for you

6. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I have a M109 that i changed over and here is what i done.
    I went to a Tb set up so I had to change all the lines

Mine was 24 volt,so I got a harness from a 12 volt gas blazer of the same year and replaced the harness at the bulkhead where it went throught the firewall.

I am running a non hydraboost pump with the hydraboost.I just put a "T" in the return line.
    Radiator hoses,the desisel rad takes bigger(in diameter)hoses than the gas motor,so if you run the deisel rad you will have to deal with that.What I did was have a peice of aluminized exhaust pipe swelled to correct size to put in between two peices of rad hoses.

One other thing I ran into was the pinion snubber on mine would not clear the headers I was going to run,so I had to take it off.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have gotten around that with a pvc barbed plumbing conversion fitting worked like charm